Touch & Sew bobbins

Old 03-13-2021, 04:43 AM

Default Touch & Sew bobbins

Many years ago I had a T&S machine and loved winding the bobbin in place. Now I have a new Singer and see they are back to a separate bobbin winder up top. Wondering why they switched after they developed that great system? Were there problems with it? Cause I never had any problems.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:13 AM
Power Poster

I did have problems with the bobbins when I had a Touch and Sew Singer. Now I could just order new bobbins off the net but at the time I just upgraded my machine. The little plastic knobs on the bobbin bottom wore down and would slip and I had to keep my finger on top as they wound.
Old 03-13-2021, 01:31 PM

I think the problem was with the gear under the winder. Most everything after the 600 and 603 had plastic gears. They didn't hold up. Also, the bobbins didn't hold much thread.

bkay
Old 03-13-2021, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

Use my T&S often--no problem with bobbins if bought from Singer. I love the wind in place !
Old 03-14-2021, 08:54 PM

I've got to think that if they stopped making it, there must have been a good reason.

We don't really like to work on them at our shop. The other two local shops won't take them at all. The stitch just isn't good when you're done working on it. As I understand it, the only way to get a balanced stitch is when the bobbin is half full. Otherwise, if you're sewing a zig-zag or decorative stitch, the back will almost always look bad. I've learned that not too many people really care about a balanced stitch, though. I guess as long as the straight-stitch works, that's all people really need.