Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Toy Singer, Paid Way Too Much For >

Toy Singer, Paid Way Too Much For

Toy Singer, Paid Way Too Much For

Old 02-07-2014, 12:50 PM

Default Toy Singer, Paid Way Too Much For

Some of you may have seen this on eBay. I paid way too much for it, but I had/have never seen anything like it. It has a 110V Singer badged motor attached with an on-off switch. It came with motor frozen and machine difficult to turn by hand. Tri-Flow did it's trick on each, motor and sewing machine. Attached should be two or three pictures. In a couple pictures you can see the blur as it is sewing. I'm intrigued (doesn't take much). Do any of you have any information on this set up. I have a later model tan Singer 20 which is much larger than this little 20 (20-K, possibly).[ATTACH=CONFIG]461021[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]461022[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]461023[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]461024[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0353.jpg   img_0352.jpg   img_0351.jpg   img_0350.jpg  
Old 02-07-2014, 12:57 PM

I can't tell you much about it except that I had one when I was young that sewed pieces of fabric together but it didn't have the electrical cord. I remember the motor attached but turned the wheel manually to sew. I probably came out of a box that came through the auction house that my father worked one or two evenings each week. There were lots of treasures/toys that came from there .... but sadly few of them made into today's possessions. I hope you find somebody who shares more information.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Banned

Awesome! I sold one of those to Cathy(Mizkaki) they are awesome.

Want a copy of the manual?

Like the one I had, your's seems to be missing the belt guard, and you are also missing the spool pin it looks like. (although it is in the picture on the auction)

be careful about running it with the presser feet down, they were made with softer materials and that will quickly wear the feed dogs and or scratch the presser foot.

You did NOT pay too much for that. I've seen them sell for over $200 on more than one occasion.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:32 PM

It looks like you got yourself a Singer 20-2 from the 1920s or 1930s. I don’t think that there were any designated as a “K”, but there might have been. The early ones don’t have a serial number on them, which makes it hard to date them. You have to go by features. The model 20 started out having a 4-spoke handwheel, then changed briefly to an 8-spoke wheel, and then went to a 7-spoke wheel. Different wheel finishes help date the 7-spoke (polished, painted, etc). They were black until later models and designs of the model 20 came out in other colors like beige.

I have a 1914 model with the 8-spoke. The 4 and 8-spoke models didn’t have the numbered thread guides. The numbers started sometime with the 7-spoke. They added the felt base to the 7-spoke too. Your machine probably came out originally with the motor on it, so that’s why I’m thinking it may be 1920-30. Electrification must have been fairly common in cities for Singer to send them out with motors on them.

Nice little example of a somewhat unusual Singer Model 20. If I saw the correct auction, you got your money’s worth.

Note: Some of my information was provided by Needlebar.org and the rest by me.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails machine474_01.jpg   machine474_02.jpg   machine474_05.jpg  
Old 02-07-2014, 01:58 PM

been watching those too. easiet to find room for! and carry. Actualy I'd like an Eldredge, to stay with a theme. or maybe both!
Old 02-08-2014, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

Awesome!!!!
Old 02-08-2014, 04:49 PM

Neat! I think that's the first electric one I've seen.
Rodney
Old 02-08-2014, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Awesome! I sold one of those to Cathy(Mizkaki) they are awesome.

Want a copy of the manual?

Like the one I had, your's seems to be missing the belt guard, and you are also missing the spool pin it looks like. (although it is in the picture on the auction)

be careful about running it with the presser feet down, they were made with softer materials and that will quickly wear the feed dogs and or scratch the presser foot.

You did NOT pay too much for that. I've seen them sell for over $200 on more than one occasion.
Steve, thanks. I've got a manual and found a thread spindle online, but, you had me searching trash to no avail for the missing one.

CD, thanks for the tutorial. You guys never cease to amaze with your knowledge and experiences. This forum is a treasure for us newbies.

Last edited by Vridar; 02-08-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vridar View Post
Steve, thanks. I've got a manual and found a thread spindle online, but, you had me searching trash to no avail for the missing one.
Don't be afraid to let the seller know that it was there was in the auction but not when you got it. I have had parts shipped to me after the fact because they forgot to put it in the box...