Treadle tubing belt revisited

Old 01-02-2013, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Patty55 View Post
In your opinion, does the machine work the same with the tubing as it did with the leather belt? Is it harder to treadle?
Patty,
I don't find it harder to treadle at all. As far as working the same, the tubing belt does just fine.

Joe
Old 01-02-2013, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by quiltjoey View Post
Hi Joe: the last pic you show is just like my 127. Yours is so beautiful! The decals on mine are very worn but love it anyway. Just had to tell you how much I like your machine!
JoAnn
JoAnn,

If you saw that machine in person you wouldn't think it was so beautiful. My camera has the tendency to pick up any of the decals that's left and making them shine. Seriously that machine just doesn't look that good in person.
I've finally got the tensions to cooperate. And it sews nicely. So a bit more cleaning and then I do believe I'll try Skips method of cleaning and fixing the shellack on the machine.

Joe
Old 01-02-2013, 10:07 AM

I've just given a treadle to my Mum and it needs a belt so I will try out some aquarium tubing.

Clare
Old 01-02-2013, 07:13 PM

My machine is finally all put back together And I put the rubber belt on. What's the right tension on the belt? How much play should it have? And what's the correct position for the guides on either side of the big wheel? I know I have the pattern right but when I treadle the machine the handwheel turns fine but the belt doesn't stay on for long. I'm always having to put it back on. And BTW, it ended up taking two of those belts from Lehman's. One was about 6 inches short. The bobbin winder seems to be too close to the belt. I don't have a tire on it yet but it almost touches. Is there an adjustment for that somewhere?

So far, I've had no luck getting the needle to pick up the bobbin thread so I'm going to watch those videos again on utube.

Sorry for so many questions!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:17 PM

Patty,

For tubing treadle belts feed the tubing through all the holes around the hand wheel, through both the rear and front belt guide if equipped and around the big wheel. Then pull the end next to the longer part. Pull it enough to take the slack out of it, but not stretch it, then cut it where the short end lays beside the long part.
After it's cut, cut off one more inch. If your going to use the tubing itself for a coupler use that one inch piece you cut off.

There should be two guides in directly in front of the big wheel, and one behind. They line up so that the belt is centered inside the guide.
The front guide is the belt derailer as well. When you rotate it clockwise as you turn the big wheel it will cause the belt to come out of the wheel. Otherwise the belt should be centered in it..

I don't remember what model machine you have but some of them do not use bobbin winder tires. When winding the bobbins you just rotate the winder until the grove in the drive wheel contacts the belt.

Hope this helps some.

Joe
Old 01-02-2013, 09:19 PM

As for the needle picking up the bobbin thread, all the normal suggestions apply.
Make sure the needle is in correctly and is the correct needle.
Make sure it's threaded correctly.
Make sure the bobbins installed and threaded correctly.
Make sure you hold your mouth right.

Joe
Old 01-02-2013, 09:40 PM

[QUOTE=J Miller;5758371]As for the needle picking up the bobbin thread, all the normal suggestions apply.
Make sure the needle is in correctly and is the correct needle.
Make sure it's threaded correctly.
Make sure the bobbins installed and threaded correctly.
Make sure you hold your mouth right.

The only thing I'm sure about is holding my mouth right!!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:32 AM

You've probably said before, but I don't remember, what brand / model machine is your treadle?

Joe
Old 01-03-2013, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
You've probably said before, but I don't remember, what brand / model machine is your treadle?

Joe
1906 Singer 66 Lotus Decals. Here's my latest question, can I replace the tensioner with one from a later model 66 that has a dial? I believe the spring is toast in the old one. It LOOKS like it would screw on the same.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:47 PM

It just occurred to me I now have two metal connectors on those belts I bought from Lehman's. I should be able to salvage those connectors(when the belt fails) and reuse them with aquarium tubing too. Looks like the connectors are aluminum.