For The Treadle Users

Old 02-18-2011, 12:09 PM

There's nothing like quilting on a treadle, kinda like riding in a convertible with your hair blowing in the wind. OK, maybe not like that, but sure it alot of fun. They're made to last, I find them simple to work on, don't think they take that much energy to work, and as a quilter it meets your needs that it makes a great stitch. Many of the Singers (and others) take a modern needle, and they are MADE TO LAST. I'd never go back to an electric again.

JMHO...
Old 02-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Power Poster

Treadling isn't that much of a workout. I just sort of bounce my right ankle up and down, without moving the front part of that foot much at all. The left foot is just there as a sort of counter balance, or to help it stop. Not enough movement to really count as cardiovascular! It's about as much work as sitting and tapping your foot as you wait... think of it that way.

The machines probably won't be hard to recondition as long as they aren't heavily rusted inside. Liquid Wrench works wonders at getting things freed up again. Then you wipe it off an apply new oil (maybe grease in a couple of places) and you are good to go!

Just oil as needed, after that. You usually know when you need oil, as a machine will get a bit noisier than it usually is.

Treadling is so peaceful and fun. Don't know what it is, but I always want to go to the treadle first...
Old 02-20-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Don't know what it is, but I always want to go to the treadle first...
Since I am in my first few weeks of treadling, this quote strikes a chord with me. Treadling seems to link action created by our body, effect through the stitching and a sense of peace because it is through our power that all of it happens. It is simply amazing and WAY cheaper than therapy...