Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Trying to appraise White Zigzag 754 >

Trying to appraise White Zigzag 754

Trying to appraise White Zigzag 754

Old 09-27-2023, 11:47 AM

Default Trying to appraise White Zigzag 754

I recently purchased a White Zigzag 754 with cabinet and foot pedal, it's in pretty decent condition overall. Does anyone have a rough estimate of what I should ask a collector for? Without gouging that is, I want to move it on to someone that will love it, I'd keep it myself but I just don't have the space.
Old 09-27-2023, 12:08 PM

Welcome to the QuiltingBoard.

A machine is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. There are many factors affecting that. Is the machine serviced and ready to go? Does it have the manual? Any accessories or attachments? How unique is it? How old is it? Where is your market? How will you advertise?

Yours looks to be a Japanese zigzag machine with a White "badge" from maybe the late 50s or early 60s, my guess anyway.

In my area, in the midwest an hour south of St Louis, I had about a dozen machines listed only on craigslist, $25 each buy 2 or 3, depending on make, get another free, and I had zero inquiries. All the machines were serviced and half of them had accessories. Maybe if I was on FB it would have been different.
Old 09-27-2023, 12:14 PM

I love the badged machines for quilters, but sadly, they lack the bells and whistles of a cheap modern brand new low end machine.

In the Seattle area (where I just moved from) I see this sort of thing for usually under $40. Often times the cabinet is a liability rather than a plus, people who can justify a machine that when not in use is in a closet have less desire for something taking up space all time. As Joe said, having the manual and/or accessories can make a difference in price. Sometimes they've been stuck in a drawer in the stand and other times they have been separated.

Is a shame, that certainly looks clean and shiny and ready to sew.
Old 09-27-2023, 01:20 PM

I agree with the above posts. Machines like yours, while very nice an useable don't go for a great deal of money. I bought a working 401 in good condition in a case for $20 at the garage sale last spring. I'd use it and enjoy it rather than trying to make any money on it.
Old 09-27-2023, 02:24 PM

Default Not sure if this helps

Thank you all for your help! I genuinely appreciate it. If that is the case and it's not worth a lot that's honestly fine, I just want to move it onto someone that wants it. I found a plaque on the machine that says made in canada, does that help at all?
Old 09-28-2023, 05:31 AM

The motor was made in Canada, that may not apply to the rest of the machine. And even if the machine itself was made in Canada, that would not make a difference where I am.
Old 09-28-2023, 05:54 AM

Basically, you have a $25.00 to $50.00 machine, if you are lucky. It's pretty, and I'm sure it works well. It will never wear out.

However, It's not a machine that collectors would choose. Some people like certain models of Kenmore, or hand cranks, or Brothers or old Singers, or really old machines, as in pre-1900's. A badged Japanese machine is not generally a collectors machine. Plus, money is tight right now and people don't have much, if anything, left over at the end of the week. Either be satisfied with whatever you can get, donate it and take a write-off on your taxes or take up sewing and keep it.

bk

edit: Ask $100. Someone might choose it just because it's pretty.

Last edited by bkay; 09-28-2023 at 05:57 AM. Reason: added thought