Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ugliest machine I've ever seen

Cindy B from MA

Blog Entries
    That's a godzilla finish on a Sears Kenmore and there are people who actually like that kind of machine.

I could picture it in a leather shop, sewing patches on motorcycle jackets or something similar........ It has a decidedly masculine feel to it.

KLO
    Blog Entries
    I guess that's what this one is too, just a different make/model? They are a bit ugly but at the same time interesting. At least you don't have to worry about trying to get a shiny finish back on an old machine, right?

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/atq/4381118232.html

Yes, it would be good in one of the booths selling patches at a motorcycle rally!! I can see that it could have a certain appeal... but I don't see me bringing it to a quilting workshop!
    Cindy B from MA

The old White made Kenmore machines are very good machines. I have a number of them. The crinkle paint is more durable than the shiny paint. Contrary to popular opinion they are easy to clean as well.

As for taking one to a quilting workshop .... why not? Why be one of the flock with Featherweights, be different.

Joe

For those who don't follow links here's the machine. Nice mid-century cabinet too. $50.
    Name:  kenmore sm bullet style.jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  25.3 KB
    Here's the Greensboro machine, Decent looking mahogany cabinet, looks like the knobs are gone though. $25 :
    Name:  gb domestic 2.jpg
Views: 1428
Size:  30.2 KB

I like both machines. I had the White version of the Domestic and it was a good machine.
    Rodney
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Neglect to oil the machine will shorten its life and cause you

trouble and annoyance" Quote from Singer Model 99 Manual

They're not all mono colored either. Here's a two-tone Kenmore:
    Name:  IMG_5318.JPG
Views: 1408
Size:  201.6 KB
    It's a 117-720, one of my favorites.

Joe

These are my least favorite machines. Ever.

I think the crinkle paint is an acquired taste. I didn't care for it at first either. When I bought the White it was with the intention to strip and repaint a different color for my daughter but when I saw how well it cleaned up I decided to keep it original. I would still have the White but a good friend of ours saw it and liked it so it went home with her. I like the art deco and streamliner look so I like the Kenmore anyway but it might look even better in a glossy finish.
    Rodney

My son recently bought one, only no cabinet and very dirty, I mean dirty, we pried the bobbin out and it was full of sand or mud, the whole machine is ugly, but my motto is "Make it Sew". Such fun making em sew again! Still working on this one.

Take that baby to quilting get togethers. All you need is a hand truck and a moving crew. I love that machine, hoping to find one someday. It'll stand out from the modest herd of 18 in my house.
    Life is made up of bits and pieces. You won't know how it'll turn out till its done.

ahem! I learned to sew on one of these kenmores. they are dinosaures and as redmadder stated, you need a hand truck to move it. not any easy one to move. I have this old kenmore now but have not played with it to see how she sews.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    😊 wilburness 😊

I too have a strange fondness for the crinkle finish machines!?! I learned on a White 77 at age 9 and found one last year that I bought for sentimental reasons. It sews nicely and brings back some great memories! And it weighs a ton!
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

I was intrigued by the title of this thread and had to look at the machine. I was surprised that I actually like it because it is so different.

Look for a White 77MG Or a Domestic 153MG. Same machine, but the MG stands for magnesium. Mine weighed in at either 25 or 26 pounds out of the case, roughly the same as a Singer 99.
    Rodney

Blog Entries
    Count me in with those who like the machine. I'd pay $50 for it.

I like it !
    I looks like a ......walrus!

I agree with those who like it. It looks so tough. Those old kenmores are supposed to be serious workhorses.

I had one of those. Kenmore 117-959, built in 1948. It was a good machine. I got mine free, it had sat in my sisters garage for a few years, her MIL bought it at a garage sale think my sis could use the cabinet for her plastic wonder machine. I cleaned and oiled the Kenmore and it ran like a trooper. Sold it for $35.

Name:  959 open.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  508.5 KB

I don't think the machine itself is that ugly but the cabinet it is in sure is.

Blog Entries
    I own one of these beauties. It was my DGMs. I call it my shark skin and it can do anything you ask of it. Pretty isn't everything.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I have always kind of liked the "Godzilla" finish and that one sure was a better deal than the first 301 Singer that I have spotted in my lookings. I was checking out at the local antique Mall yesterday with my half gallon Blue Ball jar that I use as cabinet top ornaments, filled with beans, when I looked up, for some reason and there way up high on top of some cabinet was a shiny black Singer 301. I almost heard celestial music. The only one that I have searched for, for several years. Price on it is $340. I foolishly asked if he didn't want to trade for one of my black Featherweights, but he just snickered and said he didn't think so.
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

I learned to sew on this type of machine, I love it....never had any problems with tension etc Give it a try, you will love it....
    Life would be nothing without friends.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    One like it in our local SA White with same finish and dark cabinet. $300.00 (cough,cough). Heavy not attachments does have power cord and knee pedal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast