Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Update on my vintage Elna and... a freebie! >

Update on my vintage Elna and... a freebie!

Update on my vintage Elna and... a freebie!

Old 02-26-2014, 05:29 PM

Hey Rodney... the link above is not my actual machine. I wish my table was that nice, it's not looks like 60s. But still not bad and you can't beat the price. And yeah, I was so psyched when they called with all the accessories... quite a few needles in the bag they gave me, I can't tell if they are the right kind for the machine (and yes, I learned in my research that they take a different needle) but I think they are not. The point looks too long, 206x13 needles are short, I believe?

Oh also, as I'm sure you know, the 306 can take a double needle. I was reading those are really hard to fine. But there was one in the accessories. Have anyone ever tried double-needle on a 306?

Included in my goodie bag was the power cord for the 306. So now I have to drive back up north an hour but the good news is they fixed my Elna and indeed, nothing was cracked... it was a wire or fuse, can't quite remember what she said. Always good to trust your instincts, I knew that it was nothing serious. Can't wait to get my machine back. Fingers crossed that the 306 just needs a tuneup.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
How is darning different from anything else?
Darning is different than FMQing. You don't necessarily need a foot for darning-you can get away with a darning spring and it's a different process. Qulting 3 layers of fabric and batting are different than darning a pair of socks for example.

I would suspect the plate was made so that the sewer could pop it on and darn, rather than having to tip the heavy machine on its back to lower the feed dogs. And that's a pain.

Last edited by Candace; 02-26-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:00 AM

Ohhhhhhhh, I am having an absolute jealous fit. A 306 for free. I can't believe it. A friend of mine paid $275 for one on ebay a month or so ago, and put me into negative for buying a 306 right now. DH spent that for a FW for me for my birthday. The 306 is equal to my Elna in my estimation as far as sewing and quietness goes. But I don't FMQ, so that's out for discussion for me. Good luck.....
Old 02-28-2014, 05:35 PM

Thanks, oldtnquiltinglady. I can't wait to hear if they can get it running or not... I get my Elna back tomorrow. And as I suspected everyone, the power outlet was *not* cracked, it was just a fuse which they replaced at no additional charge.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:32 PM

Its amazing to me when the repair people say something can't be fixed. Then you take it someone who knows what they are doing and VIOLA! Its very fixable.
Sharon