Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Updating One Of My Feather Weight Cases >

Updating One Of My Feather Weight Cases

Updating One Of My Feather Weight Cases

Old 02-28-2016, 10:23 PM

Default Updating One Of My Feather Weight Cases

Krickett is getting a new case! I have not been in the mood to tackle her case but today I started on it.
Bottom is very moldy but I will sand all of the case including the mold, I will be outdoors in the sunshine wearing my full face respirator because that case has some nasty stuff on it!! Love my respirator, use it for lots of things, mostly for my lampwork though.

An interesting thing was the leather tab hinges for the handle on top were actually sewn to the wood top right through the wood. Look at the nifty stitches they used to do that with... I will be doing something different and will paint it, stencil it and maybe even do a little decoupage...just depends on the mood I am in. I will also pad it like I did my white FW case last year.
Here are some pics of this work in progress:
Attached Thumbnails featherweight-case-makeover-001.jpg   featherweight-case-makeover-002.jpg   featherweight-case-makeover-005.jpg   featherweight-sewing-machine-007.jpg  
Old 02-29-2016, 04:22 AM
Power Poster

That is some project! Will look forward to seeing your progress
Old 02-29-2016, 06:26 AM

Good to hear you're using a respirator on this project. I hope you'll show progress as you go along.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

Looks like an interesting project. Please show us your progress along the way~
Old 02-29-2016, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

Anxious to see finish product!!
Old 02-29-2016, 08:51 AM

Thanks peeps. It will be slow going because we are still remodeling our kitchen so I can only grab an hour or two here and there. I will add photos though after each work session. I can't wait to see the finished project myself. Where are those little elves when you need them??!!
Old 02-29-2016, 07:30 PM

They used hide glue to put the covering on the case and that really gets nasty over time. A good oil sealer is a very good idea. Oil paint will help seal in the mold spores so it won't stink so much in the future. We are looking forward to seeing your beautiful new FW home.
Donna
Old 02-29-2016, 07:58 PM
Power Poster

I'm really interested in seeing how this comes out.
I'm intrigued now. you said you use your respirator for lamp work, is that a lamp worked bead in your avatar? it's very pretty. i'd love to see the case finished, especially in decoupage. Please show us.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:05 AM

I dampen the wood, wait a couple of minutes, then scrap with a razor blade. When all the nastiness is off, I'll polyurethane it. Mine is from 1936 and the bottom had been in water at some point. Gorilla Wood glue seems to work great and is easy to wipe and sand off.

Yep, mine looked just like yours when I started. Every time I can grab an hour it looks a little less awful.
Old 03-01-2016, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaMiller View Post
They used hide glue to put the covering on the case and that really gets nasty over time. A good oil sealer is a very good idea. Oil paint will help seal in the mold spores so it won't stink so much in the future. We are looking forward to seeing your beautiful new FW home.
Donna
Thanks for that very important info. I will use oil paint....out doors of course, my sinuses will thank me...LOL

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
I'm really interested in seeing how this comes out.
I'm intrigued now. you said you use your respirator for lamp work, is that a lamp worked bead in your avatar? it's very pretty. i'd love to see the case finished, especially in decoupage. Please show us.
It isn't one of my beads in the avatar. It is a free download avatar and I have used it for years and I do get a lot of compliments on it. Thank you. I will post pics of the process and you can "read" my signature line too if you want .

Originally Posted by redmadder View Post
I dampen the wood, wait a couple of minutes, then scrap with a razor blade. When all the nastiness is off, I'll polyurethane it. Mine is from 1936 and the bottom had been in water at some point. Gorilla Wood glue seems to work great and is easy to wipe and sand off.

Yep, mine looked just like yours when I started. Every time I can grab an hour it looks a little less awful.
Thank you for the ideas and hints. It does seem like we can only work on them a little at a time doesn't it. But we will get them finished. Please feel free to post your progress in this thread if you want, we would love to see them. Maybe we should have our own FW sub forum...Hehe
I may have a few more pics this evening....maybe.