Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Using Vintage Machine for Heavy Duty work >

Using Vintage Machine for Heavy Duty work

Using Vintage Machine for Heavy Duty work

Old 05-08-2016, 01:49 PM

Default Using Vintage Machine for Heavy Duty work

Hi everyone! I've read somewhere that some vintage machines are so well made that they could sew through heavy materials like leather. I have several older machines, a 1930 Singer 66, 1962 singer 428k, a Macy's Herald badged 15 clone, and a featherweight. We recently had some new wall to wall carpeting installed and there are 2 large pieces left over. My husband was saying that we should have a couple of pieces bound so I started looking into DIY rug binding. There is a binding you can buy that has a sticky material on one side and you use a hot glue gun to attach the end of it to the unfinished edge. The reviews are iffy, it comes undone sometimes. My question is, would one of my vintage machines be able to sew through a binding on a rug? It's a low pile economy carpet so it's not very plush or thick.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:50 PM
Power Poster

I wouldn't unless it was an industrial machine. I sewed leather in the 70s using an industrial machine at the time.
Old 05-08-2016, 02:48 PM

If it's less than 5 millimeters you could try your model 66 or your model 15. Neither of them is likely to get harmed even if it turnes out to be too much for them. I've had pieces of wall to wall carpeting edged on some sort of industiral serger, it wasn't too expensive and it lasted well. If you make an attempt remember to use a thick needle and a suitable thread, model 66 can take up to size #22 / 140 needle (Singer model 15 does too, not sure about the badged versions), I have only found this size on the web. Regular #18 is easy to find, top stitch or jeans needle. The under lining on some carpets can be like sewing through eraser rubber, maybe a knife edge leather needle could be an advantage? I expect you need to work a bit with the tension to get it right.
Old 05-08-2016, 03:17 PM

They are well made, but only "heavy duty" compared to modern machines, that can struggle going through a few layers of denim, and don't even consider canvas.

At the time the old machines were made, the companies also made true industrial "heavy duty" machines, and on Singer's info, it clearly states that the non-industrial were for "family use". Singer did make some mid range machines designated as "for light industrial" too.

If you only have small project, it won't hurt the machine to try it. Either it will or it won't. If you are going to be doing production work, you will wear it out.

The worst you'll do is usually knock it out of timing, and that's not a hard thing to fix.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:49 AM
Power Poster

I have a machine someone tried it with... Well, I think so. The needle bar was bent and heavy material stuck in it... There used to be places you can take carpet to be bound. There were machines set up to do just that.
Old 05-10-2016, 03:18 AM

The machines you listed are for home use, not industrial. If you do try it, I would hand crank the wheel first to see if your needle and machine will penetrate the carpet before you "put the pedal to the metal".
I think a lot of people who sell old machines equate the machine's weight with power. If it is heavy, it must be a heavy duty machine type thinking. I would hate for you to damage one of your machines.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:52 AM

I value my old machines too much to even try it. I think I would just run a bead of hot glue all the way around. I might even turn the carpet piece upside down and use a craft stick to spread the hot glue along he edge and about 1/2 inch in from the edge. Silicon glue would probably work too.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:23 AM

A stitch awl might be the ticket! Though, it would take a while to bind two entire rug.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:18 PM

My mother mended my horse blankets and sewed saddle pads for me back in the day on my grandmother's treadle. They were pretty heavy and it did fine, but I don't know about carpet.
Old 05-10-2016, 02:47 PM

Well I'm definitely in Clampettville. As when we had new carpet installed in our bedroom, we had some large remnants left as well. I checked into having them bound, was shocked at how expensive it is! Cheaper to just buy area rugs...
We actually found Duck brand duct tape that was almost the same color as the carpet. So hubby and I did the ole "duct tape binding". Those rugs have lasted over 4 years now...lol
Here ya go (haha):
http://duckbrand.com/products/duck-tape/colors/standard-rolls/electric-blue-188-in-x-20-yd?gclid=CjwKEAjwjca5BRCAyaPGi6_h8m8SJADryPLhrT4yP bxQnH1b0JXrlJ1i-GOmgfFRjwthby0Klg1R9BoCz77w_wcB

Last edited by kiffie2413; 05-10-2016 at 02:52 PM.