Ut oh......

Old 04-08-2022, 12:26 PM

Default Ut oh......

My fiancé has been........afflicted.

Friend of his called to say that he had something my fiancé might be interested in. Fiancé said okay, they left and were gone all night.

He made it back about an hour ago.

I don't just have the 15-87 anymore. Oh no.

He came back with not just one, or two but three antique Singers, two cabinets, one a Singer treadle, the other one I'm not sure about and a 403A.

Supposedly, word got out that he had bought the 15-87 and I was going to work on it, next thing we know, the village started producing Singers and that's why the friend contacted my fiancé. Every one of the machines with the exception of one of the antiques was just given to him, they didn't want money for them, just wanted rid of them. The one he did pay for...$20.

The three antiques he brought in today are in worse shape than mine, all have their decals exposed, you can just rub on them and wipe them off the machine. Heavy rust on one, the other isn't so bad, but on its way. The third I haven't pulled out of the box and wrapping yet, I needed a break. Mechanisms on the two still move, but they are hard to move.

I'm just still in shock. He does this all the time, it shouldn't surprise me, but it does. I tell him I would like to see if we could find something, next thing I know, he's bringing home multiples. I'm almost afraid to tell him I'd eventually like a Featherweight.
Old 04-08-2022, 02:44 PM

First, congratulations! Second, if you if you ever decide to have a child you will want to exercise caution as to what you tell him.
Old 04-08-2022, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Railroadersbrat View Post
I'm just still in shock. He does this all the time, it shouldn't surprise me, but it does. I tell him I would like to see if we could find something, next thing I know, he's bringing home multiples. I'm almost afraid to tell him I'd eventually like a Featherweight.
My husband does the same. I have to watch saying I'd like to have something. He has no idea what he's buying and usually buys the wrong thing. On top of that, he over pays for stuff. I've learned to keep my mouth shut. lol
Old 04-09-2022, 12:38 AM

Thank you! And we're both in our early 50s, no way a child is coming into the mix, LOL.
Old 04-09-2022, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
My husband does the same. I have to watch saying I'd like to have something. He has no idea what he's buying and usually buys the wrong thing. On top of that, he over pays for stuff. I've learned to keep my mouth shut. lol
Actually, what surprises me about mine is that he's never overpaid for anything. He's such a good haggler when it comes to price that there have been a couple of times that I would have felt guilty for paying so little had it been me.

I'm really not sure what to do with the antiques right now. Of course, they'll be looked over carefully and researched, then I'll decide what to do with them. Naturally, the antique appreciator in me wants to restore them, but the realist in me knows that I might be in over my head and I don't want to damage these ladies any further than they have been. Most were stored outside in sheds or on back decks, the fact that they are inside my house and will be put away properly and monitored will stop a lot of further damage, so I feel like I'm preserving them in a way. They'll get cleaned up when I find the time, but anything further than that will have to wait. The 15-87 he brought home last week takes precedence because that one is mine and I want to get her working again. "Betty" comes first.
Old 04-09-2022, 04:53 AM

What a wonderful fiancé. I hope he is developing a new hobby. My DH is close to retiring and needs an inside hobby. I may suggest he look at a few that I've acquired over the years. Congrats on your new machines!
Old 04-09-2022, 01:05 PM

Default Can he fix them up?

Now he just needs to get involved restoring them for you and that might tone down what he's
bringing home.
Old 04-11-2022, 06:29 AM

or teach him to quilt and he will bring home bolts of fabric.