Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vandervoort Model 195 Now with Pictures ---Does anyone know ???????????? >

Vandervoort Model 195 Now with Pictures ---Does anyone know ????????????

Vandervoort Model 195 Now with Pictures ---Does anyone know ????????????

Old 07-03-2012, 08:28 PM
Power Poster

Default Vandervoort Model 195 Now with Pictures ---Does anyone know ????????????

My one Grandson helped a friend's family move. They told him if he wanted this machine he could have it. His Mom sews but has no interest in the old machines, she gave it to me. I gave Grandson $25.00 for lugging it home.
It had no oil in or on it, no signs of usage at all. No attachments, manuel or top cover, a few scratches on the bed and had some dust, not much. I think it was covered up. Looks totally new, motor does too.
I cleaned it and oiled it very well, The belt is as hard as a rock. We will measure it and see if a local repairman may have one.
Attached Thumbnails sany0227.jpg   sany0230.jpg   sany0229.jpg  
Old 07-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Power Poster

I'm sure this is not a full machine. The motor is totally brand new . This machine look like the Fleetwood 195, sold on Ebay a few months ago. I found a Vandevoort with a light with a pull chain, sold at an online auction 5/18/2007, mine has no light and no place for one. It appears to thread like a Singer 15 treadle. I also found they were made by Westinghouse. Serial # JA19.195TW.54078 195 Deluxe Made in Japan. It says Precision Built Sewing Machine. Also has NADELUXE on a part underneath. Has NA under a circle type thing on the post beside the motor. I have googled and searched different sites and can't find anymore about them. I would appreciate any info someone may have.
It is very heavy.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:16 PM

Hi,

Your Vanderwoort's is a badged Japanese "Clone" based on the Singer 15 class. Vanderwoort's Dept Store was located not far from you:

http://www.claytonhistorysociety.org/vandervoorts.html

These are excellent sewing machines, some like them better than the Singer's they copied.

Jon
Old 07-03-2012, 09:23 PM
Power Poster

Thank you so much Jon, I was beginning to think it really was real. I could touch it and see it, just couldn't find out much about it.

We had a Scruggs, Vandervoorts and Barney Store downtown St. Louis. 40 or so years ago. I don't remember if I was ever in there. I think I'm right on the name.

Last edited by Jingle; 07-03-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:18 AM

Jingle,

Indeed it's an HA1-15 clone. From what little I've been able to find on these machines many were shipped over to the US sans motor, light, cord block or case. Then final assembled here. I'm betting that's why your machine has a missmatched motor and no light.

Remove the round inspection cover on the rear and there should be a notch at the 3:00 position with a screw hole in it. That is for the light bracket.
If not then a light with a big round bracket can be put under the inspection plate.

Sew-Classic.com { http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/ } has both of these lights for sale as well as the new belts and cord blocks / foot controllers if you need them.

Joe
Old 07-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

Thanks Joe. I will look at it, It is in mint condition. Absolutely has never been used. All I need is a light, and belt.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:30 PM

That's a pretty one! Hard to believe someone bought it and then never (or hardly ever) used it! Enjoy!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:31 AM

Great find!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by momto5 View Post
That's a pretty one! Hard to believe someone bought it and then never (or hardly ever) used it! Enjoy!
No, it was never used, all metal parts are as clean and shiny as the day it was made, absolutely no oil has ever been on or near it. Other than the motor being added nothing was ever done to this machine.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:41 AM

I'd have that grandson get the thrill of sewing on it when he visits. That's a pretty machine there! ;o)