Vintage Arnold Machine

Old 07-22-2019, 04:36 PM

Default Vintage Arnold Machine

Has any ever heard of an Arnold machine? I have inherited the machine my great grandmother used and I would like find out more about it. I have searched the internet and can’t seem to find anything. Any help is very appreciated!
thank you.
Old 07-22-2019, 06:25 PM

Welcome Michele.

A picture would be helpful. There is a size limit as to the size that can be posted here. Most pictures need to be reduced.

More than likely your inherited machine is what is considered a badged machine. Lots of machines have been made by lots of manufacturers. This means that similar machine can have many different names.

What kind of thread tension does it have? Is it on top, on the nose or on the front? Is it a hand crank, treadle or electric? What kind of bobbin (if any, as some do a chain stitch, instead of a lock stitch) does it have?

Yes, a picture would help.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:54 AM

​I tried to attach a picture with my original post. I will try again....
Old 07-26-2019, 03:09 AM

You can barely see where it says Arnold. I hope the picture will post!
Attached Thumbnails 19d4006c-7fbb-4f3a-a390-6e0fe0947587.png  
Old 07-26-2019, 03:25 AM

This machine belonged to my great grandmother. I have inherited it now and would like to fix it up. It needs a good cleaning and the belt is broken. The design on the front is also missing so I am hoping I can either find one or have one made for it. I would be grateful for any information or where I can find out more

Last edited by Michele Carr; 07-26-2019 at 03:28 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 06:38 AM

Are there any additional accessories or a manual in the drawers?

It sure looks like a "badged" machine. I'm not familiar with the Mason/White connection. I found http://needlebar.org/cm/displayimage..._display_media that looks like it may be like your machine and "Arnold" is a badged name for A.G.Mason sewing machines.

There is a 'sticky' about cleaning these old machines at How to Clean Up and use a vintage sewing machine - videos by Muv and Fav Wiping with sewing machine oil on a cotton ball, changing cotton balls frequently so you don't scrub dirt and scratch the decals.

It looks like it has a needle thread tension release like the early Singer 27 machines. One needs to press it to release the tension on then top thread (after raising the presser foot) so you can withdraw the fabric that you have just sewn.

If you want to disassemble it to clean and polish the metal bits, take lots of pictures during removal.

From my research, it looks like it may take what is called a 20x1 needle. I've read that one can drop a 15x1 needle a bit and it will work. One person put a piece of sheet magnet in the needle bar at the proper place to make it easier to use the 15x1 needle. I had a machine that supposedly took the 20x1 needle but when I was cleaning it up, I found several broken needle pieces. I tried the 15x1 and it worked fine. Evidently, someone in its prior life had adjusted it so that it would work with needles that were more readily available.

Have fun getting her back in working order.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 07-26-2019 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Not affiliated with off-site link
Old 07-26-2019, 03:43 PM

Wow! Thank you so much for all the information and tips! I really appreciate it! There isn’t any instructions at all. I can’t even find a model number! But the drawers are full of my grandmothers sewing notions and some buttons so I’m really happy to have it all. I’m looking forward to getting it in better condition!
Old 07-26-2019, 07:47 PM

Glad I could be of some help.

It warms my soul to hear of people inheriting sewing machines and wanting to get them back to their original purpose.

Old 07-27-2019, 03:22 PM

You’re sweet. I just wish I had inherited it before it got in this condition. At least they didn’t get rid of it. But they clearly were not interested in it. My Dad thinks it’s about 120 years old. He remembers sitting at his mothers feet when she sewed on it. He is 78 years old. It originally belonged to his grandmother. He will help me clean it up
Old 07-27-2019, 08:32 PM

At least it won't get worse, now. Actually, it doesn't look too bad. I've seen a lot worse brought back to sew well.

Looking forward to seeing it "spiffed" up.

I also found http://www.oocities.org/heartland/pl.../florence.html so pretty sure it is near if not over 100 years.

Sounds like I won't need to tell you to enjoy your "new" machine. Something to keep in mind -- be patient as you bring it back. I know how hard that is too do, sometimes. As I have learned -- "It took a lot of years to get in the shape you found it. So don't expect instant results."

Oh, here is what I believe is an excellent tutorial about the cabinet. Cleaning and Reviving furniture(Sewing cabinets) (I've had good results on some pretty cruddy looking wood.using his instructions, even just the first step really brings old wood back to looking good.)

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 07-27-2019 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Not affiliated with off-site link