Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
vintage??? Butterfly sewing machine >

vintage??? Butterfly sewing machine

vintage??? Butterfly sewing machine

Old 02-27-2012, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Caroline S View Post
I would have not passed it up either. Looks like a Class 15 Clone. She should sew like a dream.
I did some Internet searching and it appears that the Butterfly machines are made in China. They come in hand crank models also probably to be marketed to third world countries that do not have a reliable source of electricity.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

Emmy, so nice to read all that you had to say. I am missing the bobbin case on my Butterfly, so I have not been able to try to sew with it. I don't remember whether I checked to see if the Model 15 bobbin case would fit - if so I will see if I can get it to work. Thank you so much for posting those links! When I purchased my Butterfly I looked all over the web and could not find much information at all. I only found some pictures of more modern Butterfly machines.

We visited Scotland in May of last year! It is a beautiful country. We spent a week in Edinborough and another week in Fort William, as well as a couple of other nights in Aberdeen and Dunfermline. We would love to go again.

Please do post a picture of your Butterfly when you finish your move. There are many people on the board who will be happy to help you get it sewing. But watch out - we might make a quilter out of you!
Old 02-28-2012, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Your's has a twin:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t164361.html
you can post yours on here too - lots of info
Old 02-28-2012, 06:02 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
What? Don't tell me the Amish use sewing machines made in China!!! Was it at least treadle powered?
Amish aren't all that picky where things are made or whether or not it is vintage - just as long as you can people power it...
Old 07-01-2012, 05:54 PM

Hi! This is an old post so I'm not sure if you'll be checking this thread any longer but I am a new member of this site, which I found because I was researching Butterfly Sewing Machines, and because I didn't see the answer you were looking for here I thought I would tell you what I know about these types of sewing beauties. I live in Shanghai, China and recently read an article about them which I will copy for you to read here:

August 2011 issue of That's Shanghai

Just as young couples in CHina today consider an apartment and a car prerequisite possessions for marriage, so too did the sewing machine enjoy the same status from the '60's to the '80's. Along with a watch and bicycle, it was viewed as one of the three necessary items, and the Butterfly Sewing Machine had the most female friends of them all.

We can hardly imagine the excitement collecting this small machine from the store would have caused. These were the days of the planned economy and a purchase went like this: people first had to register for one with their company; if their application was approved they would then wait up to two years for it to be distributed; and finally, when it arrived, they would head to the store, ticket in hand.

Created by Shanghai Xiechang (pronunced she-chaang) Sewing Machine factory in 1942, the Butterfly slowly broke out of it's cocoon to emerge in all it's glory. In order to liberate women from manual labor, the nation attached great importance to the sewing machine industry, so that women could make and fix clothes at home. With full government support and mature technology, Butterfly soon flew into common people's homes.

Hudie (how Shanghainese say butterfly) has the same pronunciation as Wudi (invincible) in the Shanghai dialect, a name chosen to indicate that the product would be unbeatable inthe market. And so it proved; the sewing machine may have cost RMB130- roughly five times the average monthly salary- but enthusiasm for the Butterfly never faded, and demand always exceeded supply.

Butterfly wasn't confined to the domestic market, either, with healthy exports. The company also become embroiled in an unexpected, 8 year long, international lawsuit in 1994. It was a scramble for the Butterfly trademark between China and Indonesia, one of it's major importers. In an age when intellectual property was almost unheard of here, it was by no means easy for Butterfly to win the lawsuit, but finally succeeded. The case not only assured Butterfly's overseas sales, but also set a precedent for intellectual property protection in China.

Today the ready-made clothes industry has seen the Butterfly- and sewing machines in general- fade into history. In the early '90's Butterfly produced 1.4 million units a year. Now annual sales are down in the tens of thousands. But while Chinese demand for sewing machines may be on the wane, with retro winds plowing and locals seeking some nostalgia, it's not impossible that the Butterfly can fly back.
---end of article

I hope this helps a little bit! Maybe you've already learned the year it was made or were able to find out a bit more about it's history but perhaps this will lead you to more research. I'm in the market for one of these antiques and am not going to stop until I find one. I think they're mostly still in Chinese homes of the original owner. Maybe I'll spot one through a window and make a bid?
Old 07-01-2012, 06:05 PM

WOW! I don't really care for the old machines like so many do, but I think if I had seen this one, I too would have had to buy it! Love the details!
Old 07-01-2012, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

Bremlow - thank you for the information. I wish you lived in Oregon - I'm trying to whittle down my collection and would gladly sell you this one. Of course it still needs a bobbin case...
Old 07-02-2012, 07:08 AM

I thank you also Bremlow, great information. If I ever see a Butterfly I will get my net out.