Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Collectible but not sewing machine >

Vintage Collectible but not sewing machine

Vintage Collectible but not sewing machine

Old 03-31-2015, 07:48 AM

Sock needles are shorter than regular double pointed ones. 5 inches vs 7 inches..... Makes it easier for smaller rounds.

Now that I think of it, the ones I saw may have been regular DPNs...
Old 03-31-2015, 08:28 AM

Miriam, good for you. I just never have tried. I think they look NEAT, -- well, I'll have to see about that if I live long enough to do it! I have so much stuff started now. The State Flower Embroidered blocks quilt top I finished is now packed and ready for mailing. Then, since this is an heirloom that is going in my son's room, I got to thinking about the drapes which are in his room. I think I would like to embroider some State Flower Blocks (if I can find the transfers), put them together with sashing and make a new set of drapes to match the quilt and bed skirt! Neat if I can manage it! Enjoy your knitting -- I should practice that art more!

Jeanette
Old 03-31-2015, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
DPNs are for socks, mittens, mitten thumbs, seamless hats, what ever.

Tammi, I have mastered cable - it is very easy. About as easy as that quilt block I showed you. Once you see how it is done you won't be disturbed by cables at all.
I suspected that was the case. The reading didn't seem complicated so I thought I was missing something.

Originally Posted by sews View Post
Sock needles are shorter than regular double pointed ones. 5 inches vs 7 inches..... Makes it easier for smaller rounds.

Now that I think of it, the ones I saw may have been regular DPNs...
Thanks for the help telling them apart! I always just thought it was a preference.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that there were both in the case. Socks being the big deal they were back then. That said, the ones still in the case that are original to the case are 7".

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
Miriam, good for you. I just never have tried. I think they look NEAT, -- well, I'll have to see about that if I live long enough to do it! I have so much stuff started now. The State Flower Embroidered blocks quilt top I finished is now packed and ready for mailing. Then, since this is an heirloom that is going in my son's room, I got to thinking about the drapes which are in his room. I think I would like to embroider some State Flower Blocks (if I can find the transfers), put them together with sashing and make a new set of drapes to match the quilt and bed skirt! Neat if I can manage it! Enjoy your knitting -- I should practice that art more!
Jeanette
It's funny, I see the 2 - sewing and knitting - as being for different occasions. Sewing when I'm home and want to be in the studio and knitting for upstairs in front of the TV or while tr