Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 158 of 225 FirstFirst ... 58 108 148 157 158 159 168 208 ... LastLast
Results 3,926 to 3,950 of 5608

Thread: Vintage Giggles aka What are they smoking????

  1. #3926
    Super Member mlmack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    1,384
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
    Is a Bernina 810 vintage? Is it a good machine? This one is $100 which, just going by completed ebay auctions, seems like a good buy.
    http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/art/3987577859.html
    It's probably just a lesser version of the 830. People go cuckoo for Bernina machines, and that one looks to have all of the extras. Can't tell if that one picture shows a crack, or a thread, and the fact that they don't show the front of the machine is always weird, but at the very least, all of the parts should be worth more than $100. If the accessory box has feet and other stuff, it alone might be worth the asking price.

    I'd offer $70-$80 and see if they would take that.
    Mark

  2. #3927
    Super Member ArchaicArcane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Not Here
    Posts
    3,795
    Quote Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
    It's probably just a lesser version of the 830. People go cuckoo for Bernina machines, and that one looks to have all of the extras. Can't tell if that one picture shows a crack, or a thread, and the fact that they don't show the front of the machine is always weird, but at the very least, all of the parts should be worth more than $100. If the accessory box has feet and other stuff, it alone might be worth the asking price.

    I'd offer $70-$80 and see if they would take that.
    And open the top to make sure that cam gear isn't cracked.

  3. #3928
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    4,764
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
    Granted it's a 222, but $3,900? It doesn't even come with a penguin foot.
    It does have some pricey additions, *maybe* $300 for those?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Collect...item20d5ca4dfc
    I've been watching accessories for about 7 months on ebay - this unit has between $500 and $700 of accessories if sold individually. I've been amazed at what some of them go for. Two weeks ago a Penguin foot did sell for $600. Had a reserve and one bidder kept up until they got it removed - so it wasn't like a bidding war going on. I'd love to gets some of these accessories - but I'll have to luck into them as I can't afford those prices LOL!!

  4. #3929
    Super Member mlmack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    1,384
    http://kansascity.craigslist.org/fuo/3988982776.html

    That might have $30 worth of needles and bobbins alone.
    Mark

  5. #3930
    Super Member ArchaicArcane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Not Here
    Posts
    3,795
    Ok, I haven't looked for a few days, looks like the smokers are out in force around here:

    http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...AdIdZ511091527

    http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...AdIdZ492604384

    http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...AdIdZ511070922

    And my personal favorite for presentation:
    http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-...AdIdZ510411884

    This one's just "dumb", I think they looked the serial number of the motor up:
    http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=510753470

  6. #3931
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,291
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    This one's just "dumb", I think they looked the serial number of the motor up:
    http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=510753470
    Actually they probably just left off the Alpha at the beginning. I had a person try to sell me a Singer "Model G" and was sure the serial number after showed an 1870's machine.. sigh...

  7. #3932
    Super Member ArchaicArcane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Not Here
    Posts
    3,795
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    Actually they probably just left off the Alpha at the beginning. I had a person try to sell me a Singer "Model G" and was sure the serial number after showed an 1870's machine.. sigh...
    That's true, it could be that too. The six digits for the 1874 seemed too short though, that's why I guessed the serial on the motor.

    Apparently logic flies out the window when they look things up. "Hey! It says it's almost 140 years old,...that motor must have been one of the first, nevermind that in this area, there were lots of houses that still didn't have electric power 45 years after that date and the motor looks fairly modern... I'm sure it's right. I'll list it on Kijiji with a "Please Contact" as the price so that people know (that I think) it's worth big bucks..."

  8. #3933
    Super Member Caroline S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts
    3,972
    Quote Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
    http://kansascity.craigslist.org/fuo/3988982776.html

    That might have $30 worth of needles and bobbins alone.
    I agree with you Mark. If that machine takes the very hard to find CC1221 needles, there is a fortune in needles in those packets.
    Sweet Caroline

  9. #3934
    Super Member mlmack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    1,384
    Mark

  10. #3935
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
    The price is right (free), but what is it? I emailed the seller asking for a picture or model number or description, but no response yet. If this isn't rescued today it might end up in the trash!
    http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/zip/3987647386.htmlAttachment 428986
    I hope someone gets this. The seller never replied, and it's raining today and tomorrow, and I fear he may put it out in the rain. I would get it, but no car, and moving/transportation would be expensive. I'm sure he wouldn't be pleased if the taker didn't remove the cabinet.
    Sheila

  11. #3936
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by mlmack View Post
    It's probably just a lesser version of the 830. People go cuckoo for Bernina machines, and that one looks to have all of the extras. Can't tell if that one picture shows a crack, or a thread, and the fact that they don't show the front of the machine is always weird, but at the very least, all of the parts should be worth more than $100. If the accessory box has feet and other stuff, it alone might be worth the asking price.

    I'd offer $70-$80 and see if they would take that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    And open the top to make sure that cam gear isn't cracked.
    Thanks Mark and Tammi. I did think that was a thread, but now I see there is no spool on the machine, so who knows. I'm not really interested (the plastic inside would bug me), and it's too far anyway, but I thought someone else might want it. Like Mark said, the feet alone might be worth it.
    Sheila

  12. #3937
    Super Member auntpiggylpn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Michigan. . .FINALLY!!!!
    Posts
    6,916
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
    I hope someone gets this. The seller never replied, and it's raining today and tomorrow, and I fear he may put it out in the rain. I would get it, but no car, and moving/transportation would be expensive. I'm sure he wouldn't be pleased if the taker didn't remove the cabinet.
    The seller deleted the ad
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

  13. #3938
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
    I've been watching accessories for about 7 months on ebay - this unit has between $500 and $700 of accessories if sold individually. I've been amazed at what some of them go for. Two weeks ago a Penguin foot did sell for $600. Had a reserve and one bidder kept up until they got it removed - so it wasn't like a bidding war going on. I'd love to gets some of these accessories - but I'll have to luck into them as I can't afford those prices LOL!!
    Yeah, that gauge foot is hard to find, the pinking attachment is expensive, and I've seen that book go for more than $100. Let's say the extras are worth $800. That means $2200 for a 222?
    Sheila

  14. #3939
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    The seller deleted the ad
    Oh, it was there a minute ago. I feel better now. Thanks
    Sheila

  15. #3940
    Senior Member Cecilia S.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    671
    Here is your morning giggle, folks:

    http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ511719324

    For $700, I want a professional portrait headshot of the old stitcher, not a blurry snap of dude's garage.

  16. #3941
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,291
    not so much a giggle, but it IS a very cool case...

    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/3983158747.html

  17. #3942
    Super Member Caroline S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts
    3,972
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    not so much a giggle, but it IS a very cool case...

    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/atq/3983158747.html
    Oooooh, the so very desirable Mission Style cabinet. Good thing it is too far away from me.
    Sweet Caroline

  18. #3943
    Senior Member grant15clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brookfield, IL
    Posts
    862
    I got a chuckle from this ad. I have to give the seller props for their honesty. It is funny though.
    ~G~
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/art/3990103809.html

  19. #3944
    Senior Member grant15clone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Brookfield, IL
    Posts
    862
    And then you have this one. I want to write to the seller and ask how they know that it was made in 1913 and wait for them to say that it is printed on the metal thingie. At least you can tell how high the water was in the flood this machine was standing in from the water marks on the legs. And hey, yes I see the veneer peeling up on the top of it. And that price too. I would like to know how they came up with that.
    ~G~
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/atq/3951842244.html

  20. #3945
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
    I got a chuckle from this ad. I have to give the seller props for their honesty. It is funny though.
    ~G~
    http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/art/3990103809.html
    Haven't used it in 5 years but running strong for 20 years?
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

  21. #3946
    Super Member SteveH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    San Lorenzo, CA
    Posts
    5,291
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
    In case they drop the ad.

    Attachment 428604
    Well, It was picked up today!

    $50 +$10 for gas to the guy for meeting my Mom only 1 hour from her home.

    I should be getting some pics from my folks tomorrow.

    I am going to have her ship the head first, then the irons , and the wood last.

  22. #3947
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    476
    Vintage Small Singer Cat Sewing Machine!

    Cat? I could not figure out where they got that from until I saw the third picture.

    http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem...temID=13909600
    Sheila

  23. #3948
    Super Member manicmike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    1,867
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
    Cat? I could not figure out where they got that from until I saw the third picture
    Ha ha ha! It's a good price though. When you mentioned cat I thought it might have been a cat back/serpentine Jones or something. Must be some very silly people working for goodwill.
    Singers: model 12 MOP (1885) Improved Family 29k58 (1939) 44K11 (1921) 201K2, 201K23 206k11 (1950) 222k (1959) 320k2(1959), 15K90, Bernina 530, Pfaff:360 (1959) http://tailororfailure.blogspot.com

  24. #3949
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    476
    Quote Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
    When you mentioned cat I thought it might have been a cat back/serpentine Jones or something. Must be some very silly people working for goodwill.
    Oh, that must have been a bummer. I don't know what those are but they sound interesting. There aren't many vintage sewing machines on the goodwill site so I think people will find it and bid it up, even though it doesn't say fw or 221.
    Sheila

  25. #3950
    Power Poster miriam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Victorian Sweatshop
    Posts
    15,392
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheluma View Post
    Vintage Small Singer Cat Sewing Machine!

    Cat? I could not figure out where they got that from until I saw the third picture.

    http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem...temID=13909600
    maybe it smells like 'cat'
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Page 158 of 225 FirstFirst ... 58 108 148 157 158 159 168 208 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.