Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Japanese 'Badged' Zig Zag and Straight Sew Sewing Machines

Blog Entries
    I am so enjoying looking at your pics! I can't post any because all of my vintage machines are Singers. Thanks for doing this thread!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Caroline,

I've never seen a yellow rubber band belt. Is it good or cracked and rotted?
    That poor machine, why people let their sewing machines get in such condition is beyond me. They make wonderful things on clean material with filthy machines and somehow expect the end products to be nice and clean too. Amazing logic.

Joe

Blog Entries
    Some of those old Japanese machines turn better than the old Singers. Singer had a better reputation at the time. I think there was a lot of prejudice against Japan because of the war. Any you might look to see if any of your Singer machines were made in Japan. I'm not sure about the 293 - I will look at it some more today. Last night I pulled pics off my archives to post. Somewhere think I had a pic of a pretty pink Brother zz machine.
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Blog Entries
    Joe, a lot of women smoked and sewed at the same time. When those machines go into storage, they don't age any better than the women who were smoking. Some times storage is what gets the machine looking bad, - the foot control rattling around scratches up the whole thing pretty bad. So sad.

Well, if Miriam is going to show off her SEWMOR 404 I'll show mine too:

This is the black version. SS only of course and one of my favorite machines.
    Other than the decals and badge that says:
    NEW YORK
    "Sewmore
    MODEL 404
    MADE IN JAPAN
    there is no other markings on this machine.

Joe

Oh, and with the exception of the stitch length regulator which is reminiscent of the Singer Model 15, the SEWMOR 404 is pure Singer 66 underneath.

Joe

Blog Entries
    I think the gray Sewmor is a 303

Quote Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
    Caroline,

I've never seen a yellow rubber band belt. Is it good or cracked and rotted?
    That poor machine, why people let their sewing machines get in such condition is beyond me. They make wonderful things on clean material with filthy machines and somehow expect the end products to be nice and clean too. Amazing logic.

Joe
    I am sure that the machine had not been used for years and sat in a garage for a very long time. It is possible that the previous owner gave up on it because when I first test drove her the top thread kept breaking. I finally figured out it was likely the ZZ stitch plate which had lots of jagged edges from needle strikes. Got a new one yesterday from the OSMG and solved the problem.

As for the yellow belt, I should have mentioned it in my post. I have never seen one either but it is in perfect shape. I am thinking the the original one was white as the bobbin tire is white. It will have to be replaced as it is hard, dry and has a flat spot on it. Too bad it will be a black one, can't find bobbin tires in any color other than black.
    Sweet Caroline

I can't see the badge clearly in your pic, but the one I took in August is readable and says 404.

Joe

Bobbin tires are like Ford Model T's. You can have any color you want as long as it's black.

Joe

Blog Entries
    I can't see the badge clearly in your pic, but the one I took in August is readable and says 404.

Joe
    your camera serves better than my feeble memory.

Blog Entries
    Oh, and with the exception of the stitch length regulator which is reminiscent of the Singer Model 15, the SEWMOR 404 is pure Singer 66 underneath.

Joe
    hurray for reverse stitches!

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    hurray for reverse stitches!
    Oh Yeah! I've been toying with an idea I haven't told anyone about yet. Since I like the Singer 66 but prefer a back tack or reverse, and the 66s with a back tack don't have a stitch length lock, I've been thinking about putting a SEWMOR 404 in a treadle.

Not my black one, cos it works great and I don't wanna take a chance on messing something up.

Joe

Sewmor Model 606

Sewmor 606 straight stitch, serial number S30828. This is a mystery machine as to who made it. There are not any JA numbers stamped on the underside. The motor is a Dayson Power Motor, 115V/.05 HP.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Caroline S; 12-08-2012 at 08:56 AM.
    Sweet Caroline

Blog Entries
    First, my favorite, a 1977 Kenmore 158.13571, recently gifted to my son's family:
    Name:  Kenmore-158.13571s.JPG
Views: 4438
Size:  186.9 KB
    Next, another Kenmore, model 158.351 (had to have a pink one
    Name:  Kenmore158-351s.jpg
Views: 5415
Size:  725.5 KB
    and the last of my vintage zigzags, my mother's White model 1563, sn 3885. This machine includes manual, attachments, and complete set of cams for "fancy" stitches.
    Name:  IMG_0768s.jpg
Views: 4131
Size:  213.7 KB
    jlm5419-an Okie back in Oklahoma!
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

Caroline,

You better keep that SEWMOR 606 away from me. I'll stick it up under my shirt and make off with it. It's a perfect match to my S M 404.

Joe

A fresh rescue:

My wife found a listing for a "Free for all" on Freecycle today. We went. Sitting right out front was a sewing machine on a cabinet.

Really pathetic. It saw me coming and began to whimper. Then as I looked it over it fairly pleaded with me to take it home and adopt it. Even to the point of promising to sew better stitches than my Singers. I didn't buy that, but the machine was desperate.
    She was muddy, I'm guessing someone tried to put her down inside the cabinet and the hinge lock screws were not tightened. There was a mark in the muddy yard that matched the muddy hand wheel. No damage to the machine, but the plug was pulled out of the cord. I can fix that.
    The machine turns, but is stiff from lack of lube. I doubt if it's been used in a very long time. Missing the slide plate but the bobbin case is there as is two bobbins.
    One interesting thing, the needle is green with a black top. Looks like Teflon. Do they make Teflon coated needles?

It didn't take long to get the machine and the cabinet in the back of the Pathfinder. The cabinet is in good shape with a knee controller attached to the underside. It will need some fixing as the machine does.

So here's ____________________ , um I don't have a name for her yet.
    The machine is a Dial 'n Sew Model 516. Made in Japan by KOYO Machine Industries, Japan. There is no J-A numbers on the machine, only the labels.

Front:

Rear:

Motor end:

She has an enclosed motor that actually has oil holes in each end. It's easily removable, unlike the Kenmores and Singers.

Light:

Unlike a regular sewing machine light this one uses the smaller old style Christmas tree bulb type.

Needle:

A bit out of focus, but you can see the green needle with the black top.

Manufacturers label:

The machine is a basic ZZ / SS with a built in button holler. All the controls work, albeit stiff from lack of oil.
    The bobbin winder tire is green but has a big flat spot on it from someone running the machine with it engaged.
    So other than the damaged motor cord, slide plate and bobbin tire, I don't think this machine is going to need much more than cleaning and oil.

Oh, yeah, an owners manual. Gotta try to find one of those.

Elaine says for me to tell you all she found a bunch of sewing books too.

Joe
    Last edited by J Miller; 12-08-2012 at 04:58 PM.

OK, I'll play! First I have this great DeLuxe Emporium 146 B. Made around 1968 I think. Left needle. Zig Zag and automatic buttonholer. Quiet, strong and sews like a dream. It's taken over as my "downstairs" machine. I hate having to run up and down stairs just to make some quick stitches.Name:  WP_002621.jpg
Views: 7529
Size:  418.7 KB

I also have a few Kenmores, but my favorite is this Name:  WP_002250.jpg
Views: 4943
Size:  117.9 KB 158.523. With all the cams and a groovy box of attachments.

Caroline,

You better keep that SEWMOR 606 away from me. I'll stick it up under my shirt and make off with it. It's a perfect match to my S M 404.

Joe
    Suzie Sewmor is now in hiding from Joey. She is one very nice and strong sewing machine. All of the searches that I did on her model number came up with another type of sewing machine. The plates does say 606 on it. But nothing on her tells me who the manufacturer was. She is sort of a hybrid between Singer, Brother and Necchi.
    Sweet Caroline

Caroline,

When I was researching my 404 I came across that same comment about the 606. Seems there was two different machines with the same model number. I have no idea where I found that, but if I come across it I'll let you know.
    I've seen three different SEWMOR model numbers; the 202 which is a 15 clone, the 404 which is a cross between the 201 and 66, and the 606 which has two versions.
    Making a total of four. I'm partial to the Sewmors and want all four. Eventually.

Joe

Dressmaker Model 295

Dressmaker Precision Zig Zag sewing machine. Model 295, serial number 00050. No JA number on this one but a large "V" and "T" are stamped underneath. The motor is made by YDK, model YM40, 115-130 V/80 watts. This is the only machine that I have that has a made in Japan motor. The straight stitch sewing position for the needle is left.

Sweet Caroline

I love all of the pictures, so far!! And speaking of SewMor's...this is my pretty turquoise SewMor 606
    ~~Cathy~~

Blog Entries
    Joe, did you make the Dial 'n Sew all pretty yet?

Blog Entries
    I'm partial to turquoise machines too - very pretty Sewmor
    The Dressmaker doesn't come up on my screen.

Quote Originally Posted by miriam View Post
    Joe, did you make the Dial 'n Sew all pretty yet?
    Yep, don't have any "after" pics yet. Working on it.

Does the Sewmor 606 I was gonna buy from you look like the one cabbagepatchkid posted above? I don't remember.

Joe

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast