Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Machines

Guess what I just found in a packing box!?! An old Singer in a bentwood case! It belonged to someone in my husband's family. I contacted Singer and they tell me it is a 99 and was manufactured in New Jersey on Feb1, 1928.
    I haven't plugged it in yet (a bit scared to before I have her checked out) but the parts move smoothly by hand. There is a knee control attachment as well.

A TREASURE!

Anyone here use a vintage machine routinely?

Blog Entries
    Many do - and we have a special section for vintage machines - be sure and check it out :lol:

Yes, I use a 1950's Pinnock daily and will be using a 1912 treadle (after I restore it in the new year). At the moment my Pinnock is sitting on top of the treadle cabinet so I 'spose I'm actually using them both! My 80's singer has been sidelined (I have no great affection for it), but will probably hang on to it as a backup.

Sounds like you have a great machine...(we love pics....hint....hint).

I have several vintage singers I use daily. I have been piecing a selvage quilt top on phone book paper on my treadle. I love to treadle, they make such a pretty stitch. It was made in 1924, it belonged to my great aunt.

where is the section for vintage machines? I have a huge collection!! some I use, some I dont, some I would sell, some I wouldnt! so much fun to see what others have......
    Attached Images Attached Images

I use my Singer 15-91 daily! I love her!

I have three vintage - a class 15 treadle, 66 in a cabinet, with knee control, and a featherweight. All treasures which I use.

I'm sure you will have fun with it. My neighbor gifted me a Singer 99 in cabinet that was her Mom's. It humms right along.

piney

I have 3 machines ,all Singer .A 221 , 99K and singer Advanced . (from Walmart) Gave my DD my other machine . I use my Vintages on a daily basis .

Great find!

My favorite, only, mil gave me her FW 221. I prefer it over my super, duper Bernina that my sister gave me! In fact, I want to work my way backwards and find a working treadle! There is just something about the way a vintage machine just works!

Blog Entries
    The site is 'Vintage Sewing Machine Shop' The first post was by lostn51. Put the above phrase in the search box and watch for lostn51 as the poster. Lostin51 (Billy) is a storehouse of information on the older ladies Sewing machines), as is a poster by the name of Charlee. Nearly 500 pages of interesting reading.

Blog Entries
    Everyday! I have a featherweight, a 201-2, Singer 9W (treadle) Wheeler and Wilson #8 (treadle), Singer 66-1, Singer 99, a vintage Kenmore....love my old machines!! :)

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Oh yes!! I use my Featherweight, 66, 201, 301 and I also have a jazzy Bernina that I love! But I adore my old Singers :D
    I really want a treadle and hope to get one someday!

Blog Entries
    Yes, I use my vintage machines almost every day. I sew on a Singer 201-3 treadle, Singer 15-90 treadle, and a National Two Spools treadle. I own other vintage machines that I have used, but the ones I mentioned are my all time favorites for sewing.

SEW
    I have a Singer Featherweight that was a gift from my Mom. I love everything about it!

I use my vintage machines daily. I have 2 featherweight 221's (getting a third one on Friday), a 66, 101, three 201-2's, 15-91, two 99's, 192 spartan, 301, 401, 404, a couple of newer models. Looking to add a 500 Singer Rocketeer to the collectiion. Love them all!

I bought a hand crank made in Germany that has a shuttle at a yard sale for 40 dollars last spring. It works beautifully.

I have a Featherweight that I purchased new in 1956. It still runs as good as the day I brought it home. It was made in 1955.

Blog Entries
    I have several vintage machines, and I use a couple of old Featherweights regularly. I think everyone should have a mechanical, as opposed to computerized, machine as a backup for when that fancy computer goes out. These days, I use the old machines as my main machines.

All the time they make beautiful stitches. All metal machines, they will never will wear out.

I use one of my Singer 301's daily. One I've had since my marriage in 1955. I sewed all my chilren's clothes (4) and since 1973 have pieced quilts with it. I have 3 of them because of being a snowbird and would give up my dishwasher before I'd give any of my 301's up!! All in all I probably have 25 vintage Singers but always go back to the 301.

Where is this This section for vintage machines

put Vintage Machines Shop..Come in and set a spell
    in the search menu and it should find the site for you

I too use my 2 Featherweights everyday more often than
    I do my more expensive new machines. Happy sewing wth
    yours.

I have the same machine and mine runs like a top, although in sounds somewhat like an old model "T" when I sew with it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast