Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Machines - Zigzag tension >

Vintage Machines - Zigzag tension

Vintage Machines - Zigzag tension

Old 07-15-2012, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
BTW we did replace one in class - took a very short time - gotta have the tool.
I've read that it's about 15 mins with the tool, and about an hour without, and the risk of damage if you don't use the tool. It sounds well worth renting the tool, if he'll send it to me.

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Yes, if it's slipping you probably do need a new one. It's also possible that it's been redressed before, so maybe not all your fault:> If I were going to replace one I'd for sure rent that tool, too.
I suspect it is all my fault. But thanks for the benefit of the doubt. The machine didn't seem like it had ever been worked on other than being taken in for service, and in 85, I'd guess the pulleys were still available (since the elna dealer here said that they hadn't been available for 15 years.)

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
Ha! I had to laugh at that piece of yarn in the bobbin area. How do these things happen? I had a garage sale Singer that worked well for a number of years even before a repairman found a plastic part from a kid's toy jammed in the slot behind where the upper thread goes. (Not from my kids, who were beyond that age when I got the machine.)
That was actually between the top tension disks. It was wedged in so far I didn't see it the first time. It was only after I removed the tension assembly from the machine that I saw it. I think it looks bigger in the image, it looks like thick thread sitting on my desk.

I have a Supermatic 62 C that my mom bought new in about 1967 (I think). If yours has the same system for exchanging cams and setting the various built-in stitches, one area to look at is that dial. Could it have moved during transit? I'm thinking if it's a little off the stitches might not be forming properly. I tried to read everything here, but might have missed something. Does it form nice stitches when you use a straight stitch?
Straight stitching is fine, very pretty stitches. It's weird because both of my vintage "swing needle" machines do this when zigzagging, but not the newer ones, and of course not the straight stitch only machines.

The supermatic I have has no built in stitches. The machine was transported in the back of the car. It did fall down, but nothing seems to have been misaligned.

I get consistently good tension with the lower tension set exactly as shown in the manual, and have not noticed it being particularly picky about thread, as long as it's the same kind top and bottom.
I seem to be finding the same thing.

By the way, mine works only with the bobbins that have the plain bottom side and holes on top. Pulling up the bobbin thread seems a little inconsistent, and I usually verify that the bobbin thread is coming across the way it's supposed to after I have pulled it up to the top.
The first time I threaded the bobbin, I had a similar problem. I found in my case that it was because I hadn't gotten the thread completely under the tension spring, and it popped out. I seem to prefer the bobbin you describe, but so far, in testing, I haven't seen any difference. I'm sure some will come to light as soon as I start sewing with it regularly.

The final thread guide above the needle is my only complaint about this machine. The thread does not like to stay in it, and the manual says it's very important.

Otherwise, I adore my Supermatic. Good luck.
I haven't had it pop out yet, I'll be sure to be on the watch for it.

I hope I start to enjoy this machine soon, so far it's been a little frustrating, partly I'm sure because I've been trying to get the "perfect" stitch out of it, and partly because I've rehabbed a lot of machines in the last few months, and it's the only one that's defied me consistently. Enough so that I actually stopped using my sewing room for sewing for the last week, and devoted my time to building wood boxes for the machines and attachments instead.

Oh well, I've been meaning to build the boxes for a while, so maybe once I'm finished them, I won't have any more excuses.