Vintage Minnesota Treadle

Old 08-17-2020, 02:33 PM
ljr

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
That is a beauty! I think it looks like a Davis E - Minnesota A as seen at the link that I had linked as "Minnesota A" ( <-that is a link to the same one as Joe did - https://ismacs.net/sears/sears.html ) If I remember correctly some one else had one of these on QB. If you google "jlhmnj "Minnesota A" site:quiltingboard.com" there should be one that tells which needles are needed for this machine.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Thank you for the information, I had figured out yesterday that it was sold my Sears but that is about all. How did you know that it might be a Davis E? I did look at the shuttle and it does have Davis stamped on it.

All afternoon I have been reading all of the posts regarding Minnesota A and my brain is just about mush. I did look to see what was in the drawers of the cabinet and I did find a rusted needle and of course it is 2" long exactly. From what I read that tells me it took Boye 10 aka Davis Long needles, of course it would. I did read that I can substitute MTx190 just need to be sure they match up. I have a really good tech for all my machines that just might have some Boye 10 needles. Now if I can just find out the approximate date of number D1122918.

Lawanda
Old 08-17-2020, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by ljr View Post
T... How did you know that it might be a Davis E? ...
Now if I can just find out the approximate date of number D1122918.
After you posted the picture, I looked at the link that Joe & I referred to. It is about one third the way down the page. Actually, if you do a search on that page for Davis Model E you will find an image.

From my understanding, the Model A, didn't get the "A" until 1904 and I think that starting in 1910 the more streamlined "A" came about. I originally thought that the spool pin placement may have moved toward the hand wheel about 1910, too. I could be wrong. As you have found that serial numbers for most sewing manufacturers are practically non-existent. I think I'm fairly safe in saying that your machine was probably made between 1904 and 1910.

I agree with Leon about the filing cabinet.

I thought that maybe it would take the Davis Long needles. Sometimes you can find some on ebay, like https://www.ebay.com/itm/Boye-Davis-...IAAOSwoCtdPEge It looks like the substitute needles are round shank, rather than flat shank as indicated https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Davis-Lo...0AAOSwydNdSeAJ

I have a reproduction Sears catalog from about that time frame, but have misplaced it to see if your machine would have been advertised in it.

ETA:
I think your picture size is just right.

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 08-17-2020 at 06:22 PM. Reason: additional thought
Old 08-18-2020, 05:57 AM

Lawanda, my sis's former in-laws have land near Fredonia. Her late hubbys's ashes were buried on land he loved. And thanks for catching my spelling error.
Old 08-18-2020, 07:49 AM
ljr

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
Lawanda, my sis's former in-laws have land near Fredonia. Her late hubbys's ashes were buried on land he loved. And thanks for catching my spelling error.
Leon, when I read your reply it didn't look right but I wasn't really thinking about it. When I was typing to reply was when I noticed it. I did have to smile because you probably drink more coffee than you spell the county.

I have lots of people that like the filing cabinet. When I had my office I kept my orders in it. I had one client that wanted it for his wife. I told him when I was ready to part with it he would have first chance, however, sadly he passed away a couple of years ago. The small drawers are perfect to hold CD's.

Lawanda
Old 08-18-2020, 09:31 AM

'fraid not. I have never liked the taste of coffee/. But I do love to sniff it. Sometimes I'll go bug a co-worker just to smell the coffee. Experienced ones won't offer any. They know the answer.

Janey and I have met. She's really good at research.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:59 AM
ljr

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
'fraid not. I have never liked the taste of coffee/. But I do love to sniff it. Sometimes I'll go bug a co-worker just to smell the coffee. Experienced ones won't offer any. They know the answer.

Janey and I have met. She's really good at research.
I wrote a really long reply to Janey thanking her and letting her know what I found. Apparently you get kicked off here if you are typing for a little bit. When I hit send it told me to "sign in". Just haven't gotten back to it.
Old 08-18-2020, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by ljr View Post
I wrote a really long reply to Janey thanking her and letting her know what I found. Apparently you get kicked off here if you are typing for a little bit. When I hit send it told me to "sign in". Just haven't gotten back to it.
I have that happen fairly frequently. I try to remember to copy my response, but frequently just hit "Submit Reply." I have found that when I sign in, it will take me back to the "Reply to Thread" or "Quick Reply." As it has been flashing "Auto Saved" as I have been typing, even though it has probably already timed me out, so when I sign in the message box will be blank. However, there will be a a kind of ghosted message in the lower left side of the empty message box that says something to the effect "Restore Saved Content" I will click on that and it will fill in most, if not all of what I have typed. Of course, that doesn't help; you, now.

You are welcome. I like to do research and help others, with the information I have found. There used to be a really good resource at needlebar.org, There is still some good information on that site, but the picture gallery has gone AWOL and probably will not be repopulated. I can't remember if there is a Facebook or io.groups for Davis machines. I don't have any Davis or their associated badged machines, so don't think I would be able to help with any specific info.

Have fun with your beautiful machine.

Old 07-24-2022, 01:24 AM

Can these decals be purchased anywhere? I have a Minnesota I acquired from my grandmother in New York. The decals are somewhat worn.

Also there seems to be a gap such that the machine keeps falling into the cabinet. I am attaching a photo of the small gap where the machine is not supported by the cabinet. Hopefully you can see what I mean.
Old 07-24-2022, 01:28 AM

OK, I have to work on uploading photos. I'm a new member, I apologize.