Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Preservation/Restorations $65 >

Vintage Sewing Machine Preservation/Restorations $65

Vintage Sewing Machine Preservation/Restorations $65

Old 10-10-2010, 04:39 PM

I was wondering where you are located. I might have my husband drive a couple of machines to you rather than ship them, especially a treadle, if it is not too far.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
:shock: :shock: Those treadles are gorgeous!! What would be the price for something like the first treadle in the pics? What other ways can treadles be made to look nicer?

ETA....You sure do nice work, Billy.
To do a Singer treadle like that one will run $150 and if it is like the second one with out the embellishments they run around $100 bill.

Billy
Old 10-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Donna Christian
I was wondering where you are located. I might have my husband drive a couple of machines to you rather than ship them, especially a treadle, if it is not too far.
I am in the process renovating my vacation home in Middle TN so I can move the family up there but for now I am in West TN.

Billy
Old 10-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Fox

You do beautiful work.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:58 PM

In your tutorial, you said it can be more expensive for featherweights. What do those usually run?
Old 10-10-2010, 10:47 PM

I have a couple of real beauties that I have aquired and they sure could use your services. How long is your offer good for?
Old 10-11-2010, 06:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by darlin121
I have a couple of real beauties that I have aquired and they sure could use your services. How long is your offer good for?
Until the cows come home and I cant see them yet! :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is the standard fee that I charge for the service. Its cheaper than the other guys (around $25 difference here) and it goes way beyond the spectrum of what they will do when they service a machine. All they do is blow it out, oil it and replace whats broke and toss it on a shelf. I watched this one place service 3 machines in less than 30 minutes and was using used parts for the repairs and selling them to the customer as new.

Billy doesnt work like that. I believe in the values, morals and ethics that we had back in the 50's and that is the way I run my business. A handshake is just as good as signing a contract and actions speak louder than words. I have enough business from word of mouth so I never advertise.

Now when it comes to the repaints the prices are going to be going up soon. The price of paint has almost tripled to what it was this time last year. :shock: The last Candy paint I bought for the Bike I sold was almost $165 a quart! But I found a place locally that carries HOK and I can get it from them for around $145 a quart.

Fortunately I do not shoot many candies on sewing machines so the prices can stay where they are for a while.

In your tutorial, you said it can be more expensive for featherweights. What do those usually run?
Featherweights usually run anywhere between $350 to $500+ depending on the paint used (candy or Base/Clear). The reason they run more is because Aluminum is a whole 'nuther critter to work with and if the finish was ever chipped or compromised the chances of "white rust" and pitting is really strong. So I usually weld the pits up and sand them down and use the primer/sealer to fill in the sand marks. Also you have to prep Aluminum different than you do regular steel. That and the fact that 9 times out of 10 it is going to be the centerpiece of someones collection so it has to be perfect like a high end show car!

I painted a Ferrari GTO and had to do a lot of body work to (all aluminum) and when it came down to the paint it was a completely different animal. I had to hand fabricate body panels for the car and graft them in and did not use any body filler at all. The primer/sealer was the what I used to fill in the sanding marks and any tiny imperfections. It took several gallons of the stuff and at least a month to get it ready for the top coat.

Billy
Old 10-11-2010, 10:25 AM

Thanks Billy :0)
Old 10-11-2010, 01:11 PM

Billy,

I wish I could ship my 66 treadle to you.... but from here to the US would be a mighty pretty penny!

But please keep showing your work... it is just beautiful.

Hugs

Caroline
Old 10-13-2010, 10:04 AM

Me, me, me - I want to send you my 1905 Singer 27 for a cleaning and polish. She is not rusty - or at least none that is visible but she needs a good kerosine cleaning and polish to make her look purty! I was thinking of doing this myself but you are offering such a great deal, I would rather you go throuth the trouble :lol: She is in a treadle so you will have to walk me through removing her and packing her up.