Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-07-2012, 06:25 AM

I'm kind of leaning towards it being from an electric can opener too. Is the shaft that goes through the magnet plastic? Is the end threaded? If it is plastic or not threaded, I would doubt that it would be a sewing machine guide. From the looks of it, it doesn't look like the shaft goes through the magnet but is attached to it.
~G~
Old 11-07-2012, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
I'm kind of leaning towards it being from an electric can opener too. Is the shaft that goes through the magnet plastic? Is the end threaded? If it is plastic or not threaded, I would doubt that it would be a sewing machine guide. From the looks of it, it doesn't look like the shaft goes through the magnet but is attached to it.
~G~
Actually, if that thing came off a can opener or something else - it is pretty innovative if the person used it as a seam guide! The magnet would work perfectly on the bed of our vintage machines.

Nancy
Old 11-07-2012, 06:36 AM

This is true, but I would be afraid of scratching the finish. Are there any scratches in the bed where this would go, or anywhere else on the machine, that match the magnet? Kind of like a footprint.
~G~
Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Actually, if that thing came off a can opener or something else - it is pretty innovative if the person used it as a seam guide! The magnet would work perfectly on the bed of our vintage machines.

Nancy
Old 11-07-2012, 08:52 AM

Thanks guys, I don't know what is either and I also thought it came off a can opener. I wish she was here to ask her what she did with this thing. I can't figure out how she attached it to the machine. the magnet is strong so maybe it was a make shift seam guide.
Skip
Old 11-07-2012, 12:27 PM

Ok. I was in the middle of cleaning and running my Pfaff 230. For anyone that has had a question about how well these Pfaff's run and how quiet they are, I shot a 15 second video of mine running with all of the covers off. So it is as noisy as it can get. Keep in mind that the microphone is INCHES away and there is no background noise to speak of. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgiIMD1me3E&feature=youtu.be
Old 11-07-2012, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
Ok. I was in the middle of cleaning and running my Pfaff 230. For anyone that has had a question about how well these Pfaff's run and how quiet they are, I shot a 15 second video of mine running with all of the covers off. So it is as noisy as it can get. Keep in mind that the microphone is INCHES away and there is no background noise to speak of. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgiIMD1me3E&feature=youtu.be
Grant that is a cool little video! But, in person when you compare my Pfaff's to my 301 or Rocketeer, 401, etc., the Pfaff wins out on the quieter running issue.

Nancy
Old 11-07-2012, 05:34 PM

Thanks for the video...it should convince the non-believers how magical the Pfaffs are .
Old 11-07-2012, 05:45 PM

Naw, I like noisy machines .......

How about a 100 year old machine ................

Quiet machines are OK but they lull me to sleep ......... LOL

Joe
Old 11-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Naw, I like noisy machines .......

How about a 100 year old machine ...............
Quiet machines are OK but they lull me to sleep ......... LOL

Joe
Does that work, Joe?
Old 11-07-2012, 06:26 PM

Miriam,

Yes it does sew, but the last time I used it I had fits with the tension. So it got set back till I was finished with other things.
Much of the noise was due to the huge flat spot on the friction drive wheel.

Joe