Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 11-18-2012, 07:36 AM

Nancy my wife said it reminded her of the Singer 28 HC I have. I am sure this is a badged machine.
Skip
Old 11-18-2012, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by hisgrace1 View Post
I just came upon this thread and Have read several of the posts. I am wondering do you all really quilt on the old sewing machines? Or do you purchase them to restore and sit around the house...I think they are beautiful....Can you post pictures of quilts that you have made....
There is a thread called 'Quilts made using vintage machines!' in this same forum.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by hisgrace1 View Post
I just came upon this thread and Have read several of the posts. I am wondering do you all really quilt on the old sewing machines? Or do you purchase them to restore and sit around the house...I think they are beautiful....Can you post pictures of quilts that you have made....
Yes, a lot of us on this board use treadles or hand cranks all the time. Others on here make their projects with vintage machines. As Judy said go to http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...s-t134918.html and you will see some of the projects we have done on the treadles/vintage/antique machines. These very old machines have perfect stitches most of the time. We all love rescuing the machines and using them. When I am sewing at home I usually only use treadles to sew. I even have a Singer 319w in treadle that does decorative stitches. This board and our antique/vintage machine addiction is very contagious!

Nancy
Old 11-18-2012, 04:00 PM

Joe where are you? Did you see the post on my new HC? Don't know what it is but it is really nice.
Skip
Old 11-18-2012, 04:07 PM

Can somebody answer me a question or direct me to a Singer 500 service manual source other than the Singer site. I can't get on that tonight for some reason.

The cam stack has what appears to be a timing mark on the top. But it was covered with gunk and I didn't see it until I cleaned it off.
It might not be a timing mark at all but I'm getting it back together after a thorough cleaning and this is holding me back.

Joe
Old 11-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Power Poster

http://parts.singerco.com/IPsvcManuals/306W25.pdf
Singer 401 repair manual is around page 125 or after
Old 11-18-2012, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by craftiladi View Post
Jan I am pretty much a lurker on this thread, just absorbing and learning but I so wanted to pass along my condolences regarding your Hubby...Big Quilty Hugs.
dee in Utah
Thank you Dee

Texas Jan
Old 11-18-2012, 05:13 PM

The world does keep on spinning and I have found out how many wonderful friends I have here at home and all across the country, from my dog rescue days and my vintage sewing machine friends. I will be here a bit more now. As usual, Glenn has found another beautiful hand crank machine. He has the best luck.

Texas Jan
Old 11-18-2012, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by rosie99 View Post

"just so were on the same page, the machine will need some repair. the motor runs and the pulley spins, but the rest is seized, I'm not sure how to fix it and have no time to figure it out'.
Rosie, can you see a belt in the picture? It sounds to me like it's missing a belt.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor View Post
The world does keep on spinning and I have found out how many wonderful friends I have here at home and all across the country, from my dog rescue days and my vintage sewing machine friends. I will be here a bit more now. As usual, Glenn has found another beautiful hand crank machine. He has the best luck.

Texas Jan
I have good luck because you are on my side.

Skip