Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Power Poster

I am trying to re-home stuff with the aid of CL - the retro kids love that stuff but they like some sort of idea how old it is. I think the Brother is newer than the Fabri-matic - maybe a bit later 60s- don't you love the color? The Brother is in really nice shape. The Fabri-matic has a lot of scratches probably from the foot control Where do you find free manuals?
Old 12-14-2012, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I am trying to re-home stuff with the aid of CL - the retro kids love that stuff but they like some sort of idea how old it is. I think the Brother is newer than the Fabri-matic - maybe a bit later 60s- don't you love the color? The Brother is in really nice shape. The Fabri-matic has a lot of scratches probably from the foot control Where do you find free manuals?
I was just going to tell you that if you have a manual, many of the older ones have a Litho date in them and it is usually the year that they were printed and the machine was made. The pink one you will probably have some trouble finding it and may need to find out if it is a badged machine and what other machines were made from the same factory that were badged with a different name. It can be time consuming to do this. The Brother should be a little easier. They are a bit more common. Kenmores can be difficult to find a manual for too. I would start by going to, http://homeappliance.manualsonline.c...duct_list.html
And also, http://www.ismacs.net/free-sewing-ma...uals-list.html
I hope this helps or gets you started, at least for the Brother.
~G~
Old 12-14-2012, 01:17 PM

I had an Anker that someone had rubbed off the name on it but I did find a PDF manual on line for free for it but it was in German. My friend Tom bought a Free Westinghouse that was a badged machine that had a manual in English. Like I said earlier, if you can find another badged machine, you could find the manual. A lot of work though. And yes, he uses wax on his machines too.
~G~

My Anker RZ.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]382159[/ATTACH]

My friend Tom's FW.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]382160[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails anker.finished.jpg   tn-2-.1.jpg  
Old 12-14-2012, 01:24 PM

Miriam, I love the colors on both of them. I like finding the right home for a machine too. I make "booties" for all of my machines to put the foot controller in so they don't scratch up the bed. It goes with the machines I sell in cases, and some of the cabinet machines too. I HATE SCRATCHES!!!
~G~
Old 12-14-2012, 04:28 PM

Ha - I have a Honda Fit - I had 5 machines in there the other day with room to spare - weight limit is 300 lbs. 3 machines for me and 2 for Joe. The mixer doesn't count.
This is a "full size" car, so I'm pretty sure that I can fit lotsa machines in...it's the cabinets that worry me!!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
This is a "full size" car, so I'm pretty sure that I can fit lotsa machines in...it's the cabinets that worry me!!
not to worry - just take the legs off the cabinets
Old 12-14-2012, 04:56 PM

True...guess I could do that...why not? "They" already look at me like I've lost my marbles when I remove the machines from the cabinets before I take em!
Old 12-14-2012, 05:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
True...guess I could do that...why not? "They" already look at me like I've lost my marbles when I remove the machines from the cabinets before I take em!
UH - it never occurred to them that those machines will come out - I've seen people's jaws drop when I pulled a machine out of a cabinet - they don't know how to do it...
Old 12-14-2012, 05:43 PM

Miriam, I have a Brother Pacesetter in this exact same color. It was mfg'd in 1958, so if that was the color of the year you might have a 1958 model.

Cathy
Here is a real nice Blue Brother
Anybody know when these were made?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]382152[/ATTACH]
Old 12-14-2012, 05:52 PM

Several years ago I cleaned out the back room of trade-ins at Lafayette Sewing Center. My '01Subaru Forrester was seriously over loaded with 26 machines, several empty cases, a tiny air compressor and me. The owner, Andrea, was betting against me being able to get them all in. I won (barely). VBG

Where there are sewing machines to be rescued, there is a way!!!!!!
Cathy

Ha - I have a Honda Fit - I had 5 machines in there the other day with room to spare - weight limit is 300 lbs. 3 machines for me and 2 for Joe. The mixer doesn't count.