Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-16-2012, 07:42 AM

All I can say is, WOW!!

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Well, I lost the battle with myself! Here is my new Jones HC![ATTACH=CONFIG]382437[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]382438[/ATTACH]It has a nice coffin top too that does not show in the photo! How could I refuse to get this machine????? I have no will power!

Nancy
Old 12-16-2012, 08:55 AM

The Jones machine is very pretty. A centerpiece for sure. Glad you were jones-ing for a Jones.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by makitmama View Post
so I have to tell ya'll a story- I was at an estate sale yesterday looking at an old kenmore in a cabinet. An older gentleman walked up to me and asked if I was getting it, and I told him he could certainly have it if he wanted. He laughed and told me that he still had the same sewing machine he used during the war, and that if I wanted something good I needed an 'old black singer'.
Turns out he was in the navy in WWII, and had two featherweights he always took out to sea. One he kept set up for patches, and the other was used by everyone who needed general darning or repairs. He said folks laughed at first when he walked up the gangplank with a little black case, but changed their tunes when they needed to repair something. He still has them. I told him to let me know if he ever stopped needing them, and he told me that he would 'always' need them.
oh, and I ended up with a kenmore 158.something in a pretty cherry cabinet for $5.
OHHHHHHH this is so cute! Someone who knows the worth and appreciates the old sewing machines! How cute to think a little old man and a once strong young man used and still uses a FW! FW's just don't seem like a guys type machine! Thank you for sharing!

I went into a Thrift Store a few days ago. I asked if they had any sewing machines. The gal told me she had a really small black Singer that fit in this small black case she just sold the day before for $20! Geeze, that is typical - a day late!

Nancy
Old 12-16-2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962 View Post
The Jones machine is very pretty. A centerpiece for sure. Glad you were jones-ing for a Jones.
Melinda, yep, I am glad too - especially since my daughter's married name is Jones! The kids are going to think it is really cool that gramma owns a Rodney machine, grampa's name, and now a Jones machine!

Nancy
Old 12-16-2012, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Well, I lost the battle with myself! Here is my new Jones HC![ATTACH=CONFIG]382437[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]382438[/ATTACH]It has a nice coffin top too that does not show in the photo! How could I refuse to get this machine????? I have no will power!

Nancy
That is just beautiful Nancy. Hardly looks like it was ever used. Skip's computer has been down this past week, when he gets back he will be just blown away.

Texas Jan
Old 12-16-2012, 08:06 PM

Congratulations Nancy! My "Jones" has roses decals...my online name has always been qltgrose (since the days when you could only have 8 letters in your user name) and my last name is Jones as well! My base looks the same as yours too. My lid is square shaped, not domed like the other portables I have owned.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:15 PM

I just refinished the inside of a case. It had the yucky "musty" smell. I used Wallpaper Chomp (best wall paper stripper everrrrr..no affiliation,just happy user) on the inside. It made quick work of the paper. I wiped all the wood down and removed as much of the old glue as I could, set it on top of a heater register for a few days. Totally no smell when I was ready to put new finish on. I used some sewing themed paper I found in the scrap booking section @Hobby Lobby and mod-podged it on the inside. I put 2 coats of Mod Podge and then a clear spray finish. Worked like a charm. I am not replacing the outside paper, but if yours is in bad shape I wouldnt be afraid to try it. Good luck!
Old 12-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Muv

Hello Nancy

If you are a member of Needlebar, the chap there, Alan, will tell you straight away what year it is.

If you go to my blog and click on the heading "Jones Family CS"at the side, you will see that it is identical to the Jones machine on there, which belongs to a lady called Maria, and which dates from 1931. You can also see the little dress I made on it - the first thing made with it for decades.

For needles, get an order in with Helen Howes http://www.helenhowes-sewingmachines.co.uk

The lever is the stitch length adjustment, and also puts it in reverse.

There is a close up of the bobbin on the blog so you can see if you have the right one. They are not the same as Singer bobbins - one end is rounded. You can get bobbins from Helen Howes.

Last edited by Muv; 12-16-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 01:12 AM

I've really got the bug for vintage machines now. I can't stop buying them, especially the poor, neglected ones. Here's a picture of the latest cabinet, I haven't tried a restore on one in this poor shape before and I'm excited to get started. Clare
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 12-17-2012, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by qltgrose View Post
Congratulations Nancy! My "Jones" has roses decals...my online name has always been qltgrose (since the days when you could only have 8 letters in your user name) and my last name is Jones as well! My base looks the same as yours too. My lid is square shaped, not domed like the other portables I have owned.
Qtlrose, have you posted a picture of your Jones machine? We'd love to see it. Most of the Jones sewing machines I have seen are very elaborate. I have seen pictures of the ones with the yellow roses - they are amazing! The coffin top to this Jones is not a dome, more like a rectangle, but it is in nice shape. Have you sewn with your Jones? Is it a HC?

Nancy