Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-02-2013, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
Thank you all for the well wishes on my nuptials. And Glenn, my Bride to be is not all that into sewing machines.
~G~
I hope your bride will get interested in them watching you work on these very nice machines. Hope your and yours. have a long happy life together.
Skip
Old 04-02-2013, 07:00 AM

Congratulations Grant! DH and I wish you many happy years together.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Steve, I'm not at your level of salvaging sad looking machines. I will post my repaint onto the thread that you started once I get brave enough to do the paint job on my Eldredge that needs that work done. I'm enjoying read that thread and do hope that others will post to it too. You are a man of great talent by restoring these sad looking machines to their former beauty. You are their Fountain of Youth.
Thanks for this, but really... It is not a contest to see who is "better" but a safe place so we can ALL share, learn and help each other. Post your work, please. We(I'd) love to see the fruits of peoples labor.

I have learned FAR more from my students, than I ever learned from my teachers....
Old 04-02-2013, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post

I have learned FAR more from my students, than I ever learned from my teachers....
To know something is to teach it.
~G~
Old 04-02-2013, 08:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
To know something is to teach it. ~G~
Not trying to move the thread in the wrong direction, but it really is true that my advanced students only start to become truly skilled once they begin to teach others. I think the process of translating the techniques into concepts for people who have a different learning style than their own is what leads to real understanding.

It is the same here in a sense, we all get better because we see other peoples point of view and ways of approaching an issue.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:40 AM

Has anyone ever found a 15 clone that came with a manual? I've been searching for several weeks, to no avail.
Lots of Singer 15 but with 1941 or 1946 dates.
Mine is a 15-90 just like this with a different badge, am assuming with the colored tension they date to the 50's.

Were the Singer 15's truly identical to the clones?
Attached Thumbnails 12.jpg  
Old 04-02-2013, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
Has anyone ever found a 15 clone that came with a manual? I've been searching for several weeks, to no avail.
Lots of Singer 15 but with 1941 or 1946 dates.
Mine is a 15-90 just like this with a different badge, am assuming with the colored tension they date to the 50's.

Were the Singer 15's truly identical to the clones?
Kalamaquilts, here is a good manual for the clones.
http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...ion-manual.pdf
And to answer your question, No, they are not exact copies. Parts are not interchangable except for needles bobbins and belts. Here is a good place to get some info on the clones.
http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/12/...-15-clone.aspx
There is a picture page just for Clones here on QB too.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...p-t164361.html
I hope this helps.
~G~
Old 04-02-2013, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Not trying to move the thread in the wrong direction, but it really is true that my advanced students only start to become truly skilled once they begin to teach others. I think the process of translating the techniques into concepts for people who have a different learning style than their own is what leads to real understanding.

It is the same here in a sense, we all get better because we see other peoples point of view and ways of approaching an issue.
I agree 100%
Skip
BTW how is the cabinet coming along?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:32 AM

Dear everybody,

I am from South America (Uruguay) and I am writing to you because I have a sewing treadle machine, a very old one but I do know nothing about it. What I can tell you is that this machine was in my grandparents house for more than 60 years. It belonged to my grandmum, who had it for her own for 60 years, she passed away 5 years ago and my mum think this machine was of her grandmum before mine.

Some features of this machines are:

1) The brand name, printed on it: VERTEX sewing machine Co. Like Singer's machines the brand name is tipically painted and embossed along the top. I know is possively a copy of a Singer treadle machine but does anyone know anything about the Vertex Treadle sewing machine?

3) Like all vintage machines it was manufactured in metal. It is black with gold writing, lettering or designs all over it and looks just like the old singer machines. It comes in a cabinet of wood. The badge on the machine has 2 lions on a shield sides, the shield has 4 quadrants and inside each one a crown. Another red big crown is over the shield. There are several attached pictures of the machine in this e-mail.

2) I found the serial number under the machine on a grey sheet of metal.

4) It move up and down and it is in perfect appearance and perfect conditions. It doesnt make a noise when is working and it works very well! My grandmum always keeped her treadle sewing machine ready for use.

I dont care about the commercial or monetary value of this machine, if it has. I know there are several badged machines all over the world and this one seems to be one of them. Anyway, it has another kind of value since it belonged to my family. I want to know something about the years of the machine, although approximately, something about the brand, anything you know. I will appreciate some help.

Best regards

Marķa
Old 04-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I agree 100%SkipBTW how is the cabinet coming along?
SLOWLY... I have surrendered on the top wood and am hunting for an appropriate veneer to replace it. (HOW do you remove the old layer, Heat? I am progressing slowly but steadily on the rest of the cabinet. I am arranging with Michael at Wolfgangs for a Howe Coffin top to go with it!!