Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-09-2013, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by treadlep View Post
Windblown, your 1941 crinkle machine is most likely a 99-23 or 99-24. Same machine, but one is knee bar driven and one not. I have one; it's my avatar. It is cute. There's no K to this model if it's made in New Jersey. I found a manual online by doing a search using the model numbers (one manual for both models). There are usually a few on ebay for an astronomical price, and parts can be easily found. I use mine mainly for decoration, but it works great. Sewing machine oil every once in awhile applied in a light finish and rubbed off will keep it looking good. You should be able to get your light working. Because of its WWII origins, there is an historical significance to this machine and the crinkle finish that may make it easier for you to accept it's appearance---in my opinion you would be dishonoring this machine by hanging an ikea light on it (use one next to it if you must for functionality). Once you get it cleaned up you may love it more.
Oh I do care for it, I named it Audie Murphy for WWII flavor, my Dad was a Army vet, and my Mom worked at Boeing.
With Joe's help I got the light working,(Yea!)
Thank You for the 99-23 or -24 hint, I will look for the manual. The problem with the manuals I have found so far is in the thread tension assembly just not the same pieces. Clean up is going well, I'm waiting for some evaporust and new springs. When I plug it in it just hums along puurfectly
I learned to sew on a crinkle, so I knew what I was getting into, I fell in love with the shape and toughness of this guy.
I have the same problem with others things like fabric and even foods, and pets.

~Karen
Old 06-09-2013, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
mouse nest and all...
Miriam,
Better a mouse nest than a mummified mouse which is what I found underneath one my machines.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:37 AM

I have a Davis Vertical Feed sewing machine which I want to play with and I actually finally threaded correctly yesterday. She stitches beautifully but I would still like a manual. Her tension knob patent date is sometime in 1915 but her slide plate is a much older serial # but I don't care about that. What I need to find is some of spindles for the bobbin thread and an idea of how to wind and then properly thread the bullet shuttle. I presume a manual will take care of the threading issue but where do I find these bobbin spindles or whatever their correct name is. I have quickly looked on EBay but have seen nothing of interest so far. I also presume Singer parts won't work. Any help is appreciated.
Chris
Old 06-09-2013, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by chris_quilts View Post
Miriam,
Better a mouse nest than a mummified mouse which is what I found underneath one my machines.
I haven't probed that far...
Old 06-09-2013, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I haven't probed that far...
Hoping you don't have one then. At least if it's mummified, they're not so icky (for me) to handle but my cat sure was interested in that machine.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Windblown View Post
Oh I do care for it, I named it Audie Murphy for WWII flavor, my Dad was a Army vet, and my Mom worked at Boeing.
With Joe's help I got the light working,(Yea!)
Thank You for the 99-23 or -24 hint, I will look for the manual. The problem with the manuals I have found so far is in the thread tension assembly just not the same pieces. Clean up is going well, I'm waiting for some evaporust and new springs. When I plug it in it just hums along puurfectly
I learned to sew on a crinkle, so I knew what I was getting into, I fell in love with the shape and toughness of this guy.
I have the same problem with others things like fabric and even foods, and pets.

~Karen
Karen,

Glad I could be of help. A real good source of info for the top tensions is TFSR { http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...machine_manual } Their site will guide you step by step through fixing the machines.

Joe
Old 06-09-2013, 04:52 PM

Treadlep, Thank you so much Audie is indeed a 99-23 or 24!!! found the manual online and checked the tension page, it was exactly right... when the new springs get here I will put it together correctly. What a relief. Since he came without any kind of box or wood around him I don't know 23 or 24 but than wont matter to me.

~Karen
Old 06-09-2013, 05:33 PM

Hi Chris,

Singer bobbins will work in your Davis, just need a Singer to wind. Davis bobbins occasionally turn up on ebay or perhaps someone on QB has a few extra. This Yahoo group has a Davis NVF manual in it's files:

http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/da...sec=dir&slk=25

Jon

I have a Davis Vertical Feed sewing machine which I want to play with and I actually finally threaded correctly yesterday. She stitches beautifully but I would still like a manual. Her tension knob patent date is sometime in 1915 but her slide plate is a much older serial # but I don't care about that. What I need to find is some of spindles for the bobbin thread and an idea of how to wind and then properly thread the bullet shuttle. I presume a manual will take care of the threading issue but where do I find these bobbin spindles or whatever their correct name is. I have quickly looked on EBay but have seen nothing of interest so far. I also presume Singer parts won't work. Any help is appreciated.
Chris
Old 06-09-2013, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Hi Chris,

Singer bobbins will work in your Davis, just need a Singer to wind. Davis bobbins occasionally turn up on ebay or perhaps someone on QB has a few extra. This Yahoo group has a Davis NVF manual in it's files:

http://dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/da...sec=dir&slk=25

Jon
Jon, thanks. I was hoping you would turn up with an answer. I have the Singers but which model bobbin works best? I will look at the Yahoo group, too, and thanks again for the information.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:46 PM

Any of the Singer Vibrating shuttle long bobbins will work--VS2, VS3, 27,28,127,128.

Jon, thanks. I was hoping you would turn up with an answer. I have the Singers but which model bobbin works best? I will look at the Yahoo group, too, and thanks again for the information.