Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 04-01-2014, 08:09 AM

Thanks, Chris -- At this point I'm more into the machines than sewing but I think I'd learn sewing faster were I to focus on something I or someone else could wear. Boxer shorts might be a good start. I've been considering getting one of those racks o' thread from Gutermann that you hang on your wall with a bunch of colors. But your advice to keep it out of the light is well-taken and thank you.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:17 AM

Thanks, Sharon and I'm impressed with your experience -- 50 years! Here's to many more.

I've seen the name Aurifil quite a bit. I'll pick some up, maybe on eBay. I found a seller of Gutermann remnant spools and her prices are the best I've found. I've never had any trouble with the thread (no flaws that I can tell) and it sews really well. Some of the random spools I've found with machines included another brand I've found to be good: Molnlycke.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:08 AM

I bought 100 organ needles for $9.99 on ebay and the 301 likes them just fine. My Elna gets just Schmertz. The Organ needles are not breaking and last through a quilt, including the FMQ. I like to change needles with each big project and $.10 is nice.

For thread, I tend to use anything that doesn't break. The old C&C is fine - I don't have much experience with the new - the one spool I bought seemed stiffer. I buy Guterman locally. I have bought some inexpensive thread online and I really have no complaints. I do not like Connecting Threads - way too linty. Probably okay for the 301 as long as I clean it with every bobbin change, but no way would I use it in the Elna with her closer specs.

No new machines here and no time to play with the old ones. I do have to go pick up my White treadle one of these days. Looks like I'd better put the Leader on Craigslist. Such a pretty little machine and nice cabinet, but space is limited.

BTW, I have been sewing well over 60 years and quilting for 3.

Last edited by irishrose; 04-01-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

If you buy 100 sm needles on Ebay, get a magnifying glass out and look for irregular holes and irregular groves, twists and bends before your return date runs out.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:33 PM

Irishrose, 60 years -- very impressive. I've not been doing anything nearly that long, including living. I bet taking a lesson with you would be quite an experience and I'm sure you've some pretty interesting stories. Good info on thread and needles, too. Thank you.

Miriam, thanks for that tip.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:14 PM

I am not going to inspect 100 needles. The 20 or so I have used have been fine for the 301. I wouldn't put one in the Elna with her closer specs. I don't remember what I used in the Necchi when she had to stand in for the 301 FMQ. That's another machine with more exact specs. I think you have know your machines and I really don't mind saving money where I can. The only thing the 301 cares about is frequent oiling and keeping the lint out of the bobbin area.

Ken, the same machine, Miss Elna sewed my brother's thick flame retardant racing suit and a silk organza wedding dress. She's the one with the stories to tell. Sequined dance costumes and men's leather belts, etc!

I had to work on a friend's plastic wonder today and not say anything. I tested it sitting at the same spot I just sewn with my Singer 404 and wow! what a difference. The little Brother had the table jumping. I was surprised, but I was quiet.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
I am not going to inspect 100 needles. The 20 or so I have used have been fine
I wish my sister had. We split 100 - they are almost all bad.
Old 04-03-2014, 01:30 PM

Miriam, THANK YOU! That is some good information. I was thinking about ordering a bunch for myself. What was bad on them, and what should I look for? How were they defective? No hole? Bent? Burrs? Length? How would I know?
TYIA
~G~
Old 04-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grant15clone View Post
Miriam, THANK YOU! That is some good information. I was thinking about ordering a bunch for myself. What was bad on them, and what should I look for? How were they defective? No hole? Bent? Burrs? Length? How would I know?
TYIA
~G~
I wish I could get a picture. The holes were all odd shaped - according to my magnifying glass. A good needle should have sort of a rectangle shaped hole and it should be nice and even on the sides and corners. Some had burrs. Some needles were a bit twisted. Some had lousy grooves. It was almost as if we bought the daily rejects from the factory or they were having a really bad day. They would shred or break the thread. After that we are testing at least one out of each pack but it only takes a few seconds to see that they are odd - look at one you know is good.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:18 PM

Whoops, I just went to look at mine. They aren't Organ, but Orange. Made in Korea - the package is a lime green with a cut orange on it. The needles are smooth and look perfect.