Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 10-12-2014, 03:07 PM

I have to admit that I'm not feeling very keen! That 206 was not fun.

Thanks for the compliment; they look a whole lot better. It's beginning to sink in that I have way too many machines.
Old 10-12-2014, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreRulesAll View Post
I have to admit that I'm not feeling very keen! That 206 was not fun.

Thanks for the compliment; they look a whole lot better. It's beginning to sink in that I have way too many machines.
I think most of us have been there and done that and, I admit for me anyway, just ignored the feeling and kept on looking/collecting.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:02 AM

Kenmorerulesall, we have been there and done that also. Still looking but not tooo much collecting. Just 4 more machines in the last two months. Running out of room in the shop have to walk sideways now. It's DH's fault tho.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:05 PM

Yeah, I'm drowning in them. Some need new belts, some need new motors, some just need oil, some are fine but need a new owner.

I wish I could blame OCD or an addictive personality or some other illness but it's a simple lack of self-control. I see a great price and I crouch to pounce. I'm an animal.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:30 PM

Yeah, I'm drowning in them. Some need new belts, some need new motors, some just need oil, some are fine but need a new owner.

I wish I could blame OCD or an addictive personality or some other illness but it's a simple lack of self-control. I see a great price and I crouch to pounce. I'm an animal.
I can so totally relate to both of your mini-paragraphs which is why mostly my DH doesn't let me know about great finds anymore nor does my son. At estate sales now, mostly I snicker at the unrealistic prices and don't even try to talk them down to something more realistic. I am recognized on occasion as the "crazy sewing machine lady" and asked to tell what I would pay for the machine(s) but rarely are my prices acceptable to the sellers. Their loss and not my gain, thankfully.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:49 PM

Kenmore & Chris, we could be related! I'm just like that! This machine needs a little work, this one needs something else, another is completely dismantled, etc. I fix them up & would like to pass some off but can't find takers right now - even when offered free.
Old 10-14-2014, 02:31 AM

I think it's the joy of the hunt combined with low prices that makes it easy to go a little nuts on collecting these machines. I'm very glad to have a sewing project to keep me focused on something besides buying more machines.
My wife is also a big help. She's very supportive of the hobby for me and Olivia but also has her feet firmly on the ground when it comes to bringing more machines home.
Rodney
Old 10-14-2014, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by mimiknoxtaylor View Post
Kenmore & Chris, we could be related! I'm just like that! This machine needs a little work, this one needs something else, another is completely dismantled, etc. I fix them up & would like to pass some off but can't find takers right now - even when offered free.
Even free just doesn't work at times. I've tried free, reasonable, $5 or best offer and still some just won't get a machine. Had one lady tell me that the old vintage machines were too complicated to use but not her 2005 electronic machine. Had my DH thread the machine (he's not into the hobby - just an enabler - and he got it threaded) but it was still too complicated. Phooey, she was too complicated. She was looking for a "simple" machine for her teenage daughter so I suggested a Walmart special (no shooting when I ain't looking, now) and that's what Mom said she wanted for her daughter. I just hoped it worked out for the daughter. I even offered to service the vintage machine for the daughter if the daughter was interested - this was a free machine for the teenager.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:24 PM
Banned

ok, guilty.....

I just received my new Singer Stitching instrument!

But you say it is not Victorian? - True, but I already have the original style A4(left handed even) and this is an A11 (2nd and final style)
But you say is is not even a sewing machine? True, but is is made by Singer and it is cool, I have the other one, and I can use it.....
But you say they are expensive? True but I "made offer" at $50 expecting a long haggling session, they accepted!

So you see it's not my fault.... Never is....
Old 10-14-2014, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
ok, guilty.....
I just received my new Singer Stitching instrument!

So you see it's not my fault.... Never is....
That's about what I said when my son brought me a Pfaff 160 because he knew I had been looking for a Pfaff. What a good boy and totally not my fault!!