Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 12-12-2014, 02:25 PM

It's not a butcher's glove exactly, but looks just like one.
I made it several years ago as a 3 month winter project when I was making chainmaille stuff. I wanted to see if I could. Somewhere around 13,000 rings later I had a glove.
A couple years before that I used almost a quarter mile of electric fence wire, hand cranked around 25,000 rings, put them together and made myself a 16 lb. shirt,, just because.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:48 PM

Hi there I joined this group last March (2013)but since then life has gotten in the way.Now I am back! I have just acquired a Singer 301A and just love it!!Simple straight stitch machine all steel (weighs 16lbs) I know that there are attachments available for it. I traded my Husqvarna Mega quilter for this little guy. I am teaching myself to hand quilt. Now don't get me wrong I have a computerized Singer Quartet embroidery machine so I am in the 21st century-
Old 12-12-2014, 03:31 PM
Banned

I could not scale the avatar to check the ID but it looks nice and small.

I am an armorer so the sight peaked my interest. I've made a few hauberks, but the only one I still have is made with 1/4"i.d. 302 stainless 16ga. took about 9 mos to make. Stainless is a LOT harder to open/close than mild steel.

My youngest daughter fell in love with the process. while in high school and College she managed to get permission from a few teachers to work in class on her projects. She lost interest in making hauberks once she saw my "waffle" bruises (imprint of chainmail visible in bruise pattern received in combat) she now makes mail jewelry and the like.

This is my favorite piece of her work
[ATTACH=CONFIG]502282[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails clipboard01.jpg  
Old 12-13-2014, 02:21 PM

Well, from the 9th to the 13th but my log chains showed up today. So much for priority 2 day. Not the companies fault, they shipped when they said.
It definitely didn't fit in the mailbox. It was outside my door and I had to take a couple tries to get it picked up and into the house.
It was a medium sized priority flat rate box. They definitely got a deal on flat rate shipping. It was entirely wrapped in fiberglass tape and was mostly oval. After I got 1 chain out I took the box and the other chain and it showed on the bathroom scales weighing 30 lbs. No wonder it was hard for me to lift....
Roger
Old 12-13-2014, 08:46 PM

I liked chainmail circlets too but whatever I wore to the renfaires something always ended up lost. So I lost the brass toned circlet. That one is a good balanced weight design, better than what I had. It would stay put.

The 66-16 is getting easier with the oil. When I first spun the handwheel it would make one stitch. Now when I spin it is making a little over three stitches. The B type bobbin winder still is slow to spin and a bit rust spotted. I think I should probably take that one all the way apart. I oiled the screws holding that in place today and now to wait until those screws get loose.

Last edited by Quincunx; 12-13-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
The B type bobbin winder still is slow to spin and a bit rust spotted. I think I should probably take that one all the way apart.
It should be taken apart routinely as a part of your rehab. Even the bobbin tension spring should come off and be cleaned inside and out and put in a new oil wick. It is a pain to do but that is the only way you can be sure the machine runs right. There can also still be lint inside the bobbin area causing it to not turn freely. It would be time well spent.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags View Post
Another time, the same toddler son filled his front jeans pocket up with Dandy Lion stems. No flowers, just the stems. On laundry day, a few days later, Mom reached into his pocket to get out whatever was in there, and was not pleased!

I guess I should mention that his Mom DOES NOT like worms....of any kind, so you can guess what she thought she had hold of.....

CD in Oklahoma
My son was 3 and loved to put slugs in his jeans pockets. I quickly broke him of this habit. He had to remove every one of those nasty things the next day. He kept telling me it was yucky and why didn't I do it. haha sweet revenge.
Sharon in Texas
Old 12-15-2014, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by blockgirl View Post
Hi there I joined this group last March (2013)but since then life has gotten in the way.Now I am back! I have just acquired a Singer 301A and just love it!!Simple straight stitch machine all steel (weighs 16lbs) I know that there are attachments available for it. I traded my Husqvarna Mega quilter for this little guy. I am teaching myself to hand quilt. Now don't get me wrong I have a computerized Singer Quartet embroidery machine so I am in the 21st century-
Hi Blockgirl,
The body of the Singer 301 is aluminium, if it were all iron it would weigh far more. I have a black short bed 301, one of my favorite machines. I'm a quilter too.
Sharon in Texas
Old 12-16-2014, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
It should be taken apart routinely as a part of your rehab. Even the bobbin tension spring should come off and be cleaned inside and out and put in a new oil wick. It is a pain to do but that is the only way you can be sure the machine runs right. There can also still be lint inside the bobbin area causing it to not turn freely. It would be time well spent.
I meant the bobbin winder and not the bobbin case. For no reason at all I am working from right to left while working on shining the metal. But thank you for the reminder because whoever got to this machine before me took out the wick in the bobbin area. One more spool pin felt on the shopping list. I used the felt I had to cut a new spool pin felt but it is much too linty for a wick.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:35 AM

I used to love my old treadle. It went when everything was sold and I moved south. Now somehow I've managed to have two big old electric clunkers and I just bought my third Singer Featherweight. What was I thinking of!!!