Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 13 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 63 ... LastLast

Thread: Vintage Sewing Machine Shop Machine Photos

I am absolutely sick and can't stop crying. It has taken years to get my parents to finally give me my great grandmother's 1896 Singer Treadle and it is ruined! They just let it set there and rust away. It was a Sphinx with the deluxe cabinet. The paint has literally turned to powder and in places just popped off. I used to stand by my grandmother while she sewed on it. I remember the wonderful sound a treadle makes and I wanted to sew on it. Grandma told me she wanted me to have it when I was a young girl. She said she knew I would take care of it. I am beside myself with grief. I can't even bring myself to take a picture of it.

Selena, dont give up just yet........... there may be a way to revive this special machine! I only wish I could have my great grandmothers machine,,,, regardless of condition.

WHat a wonderful strowl thru history! Loved all the pictures; hope I can add mine before and after, when I'm done with her.

Quote Originally Posted by whinnytoo
    Selena, dont give up just yet........... there may be a way to revive this special machine! I only wish I could have my great grandmothers machine,,,, regardless of condition.
    Believe me, I'm glad to have it. It just breaks my heart that it looks like a piece of junk. I am soooo angry. I'm not giving up, just grieving for what was. My DH says there people who can restore it. Now to find them.

I'm adding my two Necchi's to the Machine Photos

Necchi Nora
    Name:  Attachment-258870.jpe
Views: 1268
Size:  34.4 KB

Necchi Julia
    Name:  Attachment-258871.jpe
Views: 1297
Size:  28.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Selena
    Believe me, I'm glad to have it. It just breaks my heart that it looks like a piece of junk. I am soooo angry. I'm not giving up, just grieving for what was. My DH says there people who can restore it. Now to find them.
    Selena, send a pm and a pic to Billy (lostn51) on this board. He may be able to give you some insight...I know he has restored machines...has even posted pics, and I believe he has a tutorial on this board showing how to clean vintage machines. Lots of his are treadles!

thank you.

Blog Entries
    I think Billy's in "taking a break mode" from his illness and won't be working on machines for awhile. There are people on the web that will refurb your machine Selena, but it won't be quite the same...the decals aren't available for replacement...but you can bring that machine back to life by yourself...follow Billy's tutes in the tutorial section of the board...at least make her sew again, looks aside, sewing is what she was made to do!!
    How wonderful to have your great grandmother's machine...I'd LOVE to have a family machine like that!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OWALK718
    Two beautiful Necchis that I do believe can be treadle too!
    You keep them as e-machines, but I know I would be making them into PP machine.

Hopefully you use them. IF not, start now! Have fun and thanks for posting!

Quote Originally Posted by vintagemotif
    Quote Originally Posted by OWALK718
    Two beautiful Necchis that I do believe can be treadle too!
    You keep them as e-machines, but I know I would be making them into PP machine.

Hopefully you use them. IF not, start now! Have fun and thanks for posting!
    They get used, They take turns, one project Singer 500, next project Julia, fee motion quilting Nora.

I'd love to treadle the Nora but have to find a cabinet. I've been on the hunt. And thanks .

Blog Entries
    Ok, I just saw this topic yesterday, so I'm coming in late to the discussion, but would like to add some photos of my vintage machines.

The 1940 Singer 201 came from an estate auction, in a #42 cabinet, for $20.
    There are more, but don't have photos yet of all of them.

Pink Singer 99, Featherweight, Singer 201
    Name:  Attachment-259156.jpe
Views: 1922
Size:  64.7 KB

1902 Singer 27 treadle
    Name:  Attachment-259157.jpe
Views: 3050
Size:  41.1 KB

~1900 Standard treadle
    Name:  Attachment-259158.jpe
Views: 1892
Size:  38.0 KB

Kenmore 158.13571, bought new in late '70s
    Name:  Attachment-259160.jpe
Views: 2346
Size:  37.5 KB

Singer 15 Clone, made in Japan, ~1953
    Name:  Attachment-259162.jpe
Views: 1623
Size:  55.4 KB

My early birthday present
    Name:  Attachment-259165.jpe
Views: 1571
Size:  71.8 KB

Im tempted to have a FW repainted....... can anyone recommend someone who does this?

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    This is the first time I dare to check out all these pics....OMG I am soooo jealous......I want a treadle sooo bad only thing is since I don't know much about restoring I need to find one that already works and the cabinet in half way decent shape that is not outrageous on price. One day I will I just know it....:-)

Shoot-I meant for this to go in the VSMS thread, not here.

Look what I found! Er, what did I find? It's cute, whatever it is! It looks like a mini tension-top, or whatever they're called.

I stopped at the local fruit stand today for muscadines, and had a poke around in the back where the, er, "treasures" are, and found this little beauty. Pardon the bad photo-that's a cell phone shot in the dark back of the room.

It says Plaza, although it looks like the word itself was done differently than the decals, and is wearing off differently than the decals, so I dunno. (It's not pin rash.) It appears to be 3/4 size, and electrified-there's a motor and foot pedal, but no treadle. The decals are in great condition; the cabinet is beat. The mechanism turns grudgingly, but the needle bar does move with it, so I suspect a good oiling would help. As you can see, the front slide plate is missing, and has been replaced with a piece of old, brittle, pale yellow plastic. It's stuck; I couldn't get it off to see if the shuttle is still there or not.

They were asking $100 for it. A: I'm not a fan of vibrating shuttles, B: I don't really have room for it, even without the cabinet. But I'll keep an eye out-if it's still there in November or so, I'll offer them less and see if they're interested.

Does anyone have any info about this kind of machine? My google-fu was singularly unhelpful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsBoats
    Look what I found! Er, what did I find?

They were asking $100 for it. A: I'm not a fan of vibrating shuttles, B: I don't really have room for it, even without the cabinet. But I'll keep an eye out-if it's still there in November or so, I'll offer them less and see if they're interested.

Does anyone have any info about this kind of machine? My google-fu was singularly unhelpful.

This is a difficult one to find info. Recently, someone else posted a similar machine on the VSMS thread asking what machine is this. Nancy knew! This machine looks the same as the one in question and Nancy's.

This one looks to be a badge New Home machine; their 3/4 machine with is smaller. Look at Nancy's post on page 665 in VSMS; scroll to bottom page and compare. Hard to see all of Nancy's mahcine, but this machine looks very similar.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-665.htm

Quote Originally Posted by MrsBoats
    Look what I found! Er, what did I find?

This is a difficult one to find info. Recently, someone else posted a similar machine on the VSMS thread asking what machine is this. Nancy knew! This machine looks the same as the one in question and Nancy's.

This one looks to be a badge New Home machine; their 3/4 machine with is smaller. Look at Nancy's post on page 665 in VSMS; scroll to bottom page and compare. Hard to see all of Nancy's mahcine, but this machine looks very similar.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-665.htm
    Thanks for the info! And yes, decals aside, they certainly seem to be the same machine. Do you by any chance happen to know the name/model number for the 3/4 size Hew Home? Now I'm curious!

Blog Entries
    I had this machine waiting to be fixed and cleaned up for almost a year. I finally got around to the job today. The machine isn't the prettiest, and she still needs more cleaning, but she does make beautiful stitches.

This is a Singer 9W which looks similar to a Wheeler & Wilson D9 since Singer bought out the Wheeler and Wilson factory in 1905 and used up the D9 parts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I had this machine waiting to be fixed and cleaned up for almost a year. I finally got around to the job today. The machine isn't the prettiest, and she still needs more cleaning, but she does make beautiful stitches.

This is a Singer 9W which looks similar to a Wheeler & Wilson D9 since Singer bought out the Wheeler and Wilson factory in 1905 and used up the D9 parts.
    She's a beauty.

In the "main " today I put a post asking for prayers for
    Billy --so please read it and then you will understtand why we suggest you look for his tutorial for cleaning. tia

Quote Originally Posted by jojo47
    Quote Originally Posted by Selena
    Selena, send a pm and a pic to Billy (lostn51) on this board. He may be able to give you some insight...I know he has restored machines...has even posted pics, and I believe he has a tutorial on this board showing how to clean vintage machines. Lots of his are treadles!

Quote Originally Posted by Mornigstar
    In the "main " today I put a post asking for prayers for
    Billy --so please read it and then you will understtand why we suggest you look for his tutorial for cleaning. tia
    This was moved to another section. Check "personal diaries and announcements".

a couple more of my 'cuties'
    Sure would love to find a Cinderella for my collection. They are jsut the cutest ever. Where did you find yours?

I'll show off a few of mine...they both need some serious cleaning but I can't wait to treadle the 201 in a wooden-leg treadle I found.

AD series 1935 Featherweight
    Name:  Attachment-263955.jpe
Views: 1195
Size:  93.2 KB

AD series 1932 201-3
    Name:  Attachment-263956.jpe
Views: 1190
Size:  58.9 KB

Blog Entries
    Miz Hazel in all her glory!! I'm tickled pink that she turned out as nice as she did...many thanks to Skip for holding my hand through the shellac process! :)

Before...
    Name:  Attachment-264335.jpe
Views: 1172
Size:  52.6 KB

After...
    Name:  Attachment-264336.jpe
Views: 1176
Size:  42.7 KB

Coffintop removed...
    Name:  Attachment-264337.jpe
Views: 1175
Size:  42.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    Miz Hazel in all her glory!! I'm tickled pink that she turned out as nice as she did...many thanks to Skip for holding my hand through the shellac process! :)
    That's absolutely gorgeous! Excellent job.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlee
    That's an awesome restoration. It looks brand new from showroom. :D

Ash

Page 13 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13 14 23 63 ... LastLast