Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage sewing related machine - >

Vintage sewing related machine -

Vintage sewing related machine -

Old 02-01-2014, 04:38 PM

Default Vintage sewing related machine -

After the gun show, DH and I hit a few antique shops and then found the way to this neat non-profit thrift store. We looked around - and did find a Kenmore sewing machine (made by White) but it wasn't something we were interested in.

And then over on the side next to a vintage washing machine I spied this lovely unit!

I got excited - this is so weird - up until about a week ago I had never even heard about one of these, and someone posted a link and I was browsing a blog - and there was a right up about one of these.

I knew it was meant to be! DH thought I was nuts, and I had to explain to several people what it was.

It's a Montgomery Wards Mangle. I don't know if it will work, but for $15 I just had to bring it home.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:58 PM

Plugged it in, and the light comes on and it heats up - but does not go round. DH will take it apart and check all the connections when he has time. I'm pretty confident he can get it running eventually. I'll sand and paint at some point too - after it's running of course.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:07 PM

My mother had one of those - not sure how old it was but she got it between 1950 and 1955. She gave it to a church in the very late 1990's because she was no longer ironing sheets or table cloths and it was just taking up space in the basement. They were so thrilled, it not only worked but she still had the instruction manual. They do make life easier if you are one to iron your jeans and if you use linen table cloths. But take up so much space.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:10 PM

Do you plan on pressing your yardage with it?
Old 02-01-2014, 05:13 PM

Is it just for pressing linens? Looks in really nice shape.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:43 PM

Seeing this machine you posted just rang a bell, my DMIL passed away recently and I know she had one of these and I believe it is stilll where I first saw it many years ago, tucked away in her attic in a corner. I think I will have to go over to see DFIL this week and take another look up in the attic. I wonder how they work for regular quilting fabric?
Old 02-01-2014, 06:13 PM

Quilting fabric is what I'm interested in using it for. I pre-wash all mine - toss a cotton towel in the dryer with them and use the cool down cycle, so they come out quite nicely, but still need a bit of pressing.

The roll is 23" long.

I watched some u-tube videos on how to use them - some vintage advertizing videos too. Had to laugh about that - the talking about how women still had to iron like their grandmothers did.

i was thinking it would also be good to get a nice crease in my dress pants.

This is short enough that it will fit right under my ironing station - and then I can roll it out to use, and tuck it back under. Biggest problem will be finding another home for the plastic tubs that are under there currently (and one sewing machine cabinet).
Old 02-01-2014, 06:36 PM

Yours looks to be in very nice condition. As a child I used one for sheets. Be careful- there's a reason they're called a mangle!
Old 02-01-2014, 08:01 PM

Cool! I've seen some from time to time but I really don't have room for one. I think the last one I saw was about a month ago. IIRC it was around $20.
Rodney
Old 02-02-2014, 04:32 AM

I snagged an old Model 85 Ironrite Mangle at an auction back in June 2011. I haven’t done anything with it since that time, but for some reason, I just had to have it since we have an ironing service in our little shop. My wife wasn’t all that impressed with my find, and continues to iron by hand.

Here’s the post that I made about it here on QB back then.
Does Anyone Use An Ironrite Mangle Anymore?

CD in Oklahoma