Walking Foot for the FW

Old 06-17-2012, 12:32 PM

Default Walking Foot for the FW

Walking Foot for the FW..... which one should I buy? I'm almost done with the piecing (and my '53 FW, Jane, loves sewing that) and I'm thinking ahead to the quilting. I have an original darning foot that I can use to do stippling, etc., but for straight stitching I'd like to use a walking foot to have even stitches. So, who best to ask about which one to buy???? You experts!!

I've seen some posts about people buying walking feet that don't line up well with the feed dogs but I don't think those were FW. I'd love to find an inexpensive penguin but that's not going to happen. So, is there any specific things I should be looking for? I've checked eBay and sew classic and there are so many different ones and different prices. Which ones have you all used???? Which ones do you like? It's just a baby quilt I'm doing this time but I figured I should start small on my little FW.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:52 PM

The one sold by April 30's store fits. I believe the only one that fits the FW feed dogs correctly is made by Alpha Sew. All others are too large. Similar story for the 301, but there are no walking feet to correctly fit the feed dog width of the 301's.

http://www.april1930s.com/html/walki...herweight.html

Others may carry the same brand, but this is the one you want.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:18 PM

Jenny at Sew-Classic has them too. http://shop.sew-classic.com/Low-Shan...tch-P60400.htm This is the one I've got and I love it!
Old 06-17-2012, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
The one sold by April 30's store fits. I believe the only one that fits the FW feed dogs correctly is made by Alpha Sew. All others are too large. Similar story for the 301, but there are no walking feet to correctly fit the feed dog width of the 301's.

http://www.april1930s.com/html/walki...herweight.html

Others may carry the same brand, but this is the one you want.
Thanks for asking the question and for the answers---I just ordered one!
Old 06-17-2012, 07:33 PM

Do you piece with your walking foot? I was thinking it would be helpful when crossing over seams.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
Do you piece with your walking foot? I was thinking it would be helpful when crossing over seams.
No, I've never done that. I have sewn together binding a few times with the walking foot because I was in a hurry and too lazy to change the foot. That worked okay so I guess it would work to piece with it. The problem would be that I wouldn't be able to see the 1/4" line.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:55 AM

I got mine from Sew Classic and it works great.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:41 AM

The one I have is from April 1930's and works beautifully. Good price, also!
http://www.april1930s.com/

Last edited by lovelyl; 06-19-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:20 AM
FLQ

I have purchased from April's 1930 with great success. They are knowledgable and quick. Good prices too. I'll checkout the other vendor mentioned too.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Walking Foot for the FW..... which one should I buy? I'm almost done with the piecing (and my '53 FW, Jane, loves sewing that) and I'm thinking ahead to the quilting. I have an original darning foot that I can use to do stippling, etc., but for straight stitching I'd like to use a walking foot to have even stitches. So, who best to ask about which one to buy???? You experts!!

I've seen some posts about people buying walking feet that don't line up well with the feed dogs but I don't think those were FW. I'd love to find an inexpensive penguin but that's not going to happen. So, is there any specific things I should be looking for? I've checked eBay and sew classic and there are so many different ones and different prices. Which ones have you all used???? Which ones do you like? It's just a baby quilt I'm doing this time but I figured I should start small on my little FW.
THANK YOU for asking - the web links are great - have been picking up different feet, but this is going to make it sooooooo easy. Thanks again & happy sewing