Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Went to a LSWS and learned something...... >

Went to a LSWS and learned something......

Went to a LSWS and learned something......

Old 01-21-2014, 04:43 PM

My motor looks fab compared to that.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:12 PM

Might know where some of the power loss is going....
Old 01-21-2014, 11:49 PM

i actually have finished rewiring the motor. Rain's blog is about rewiring but he didn't mention that before you can rewire it you need to disassemble the motor itself and while you're at it, you might as well change the bushings, grease wicks, clean the gears, clean the wick holder and all those small things. so technically when you want to rewire a potted motor, it's like cleaning/refurbushing the motor. it's done now and motor works way better than what it was before. and now i do feel safe as i was the one who rewired the motor and the light assembly too.

THANKS GUYS for all your inputs and advise.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:02 AM

I'm happy to see you took the time to do it right. With wires in that bad of shape it's better just to cut them out and start over. You'll have much better peace of mind now.
Rodney
Old 01-25-2014, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
i actually have finished rewiring the motor. Rain's blog is about rewiring but he didn't mention that before you can rewire it you need to disassemble the motor itself and while you're at it, you might as well change the bushings, grease wicks, clean the gears, clean the wick holder and all those small things. so technically when you want to rewire a potted motor, it's like cleaning/refurbushing the motor. it's done now and motor works way better than what it was before. and now i do feel safe as i was the one who rewired the motor and the light assembly too.

THANKS GUYS for all your inputs and advise.
I'm so glad it's working well. It's true, it's like a new lease on life for these motors.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
I'm so glad it's working well. It's true, it's like a new lease on life for these motors.
So true Tammi. I also used to just plug them in and see if they go, but after discovering something similar to Vmaniqui's I learned how to disassemble and reassemble them and now always inspect them thoroughly.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:01 AM

thanks guys for the encouragement. now that i've done one 15-91 potted motor rewiring, i think i am ready to check or rewire my 201-2. i am refinishing the cabinet and totally stripped the stain/poly so i might as well work on the motor too to make it a total rehab. i will keep you all posted on my 201-2 rehab.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I'm happy to see you took the time to do it right. With wires in that bad of shape it's better just to cut them out and start over. You'll have much better peace of mind now.
Rodney
rodney - you're right. it is such an awesome feeling being able to rewire a potted motor. didn't even think for a moment that i could do it. now i can say ' I DID IT' (i guess). thanks.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
So true Tammi. I also used to just plug them in and see if they go, but after discovering something similar to Vmaniqui's I learned how to disassemble and reassemble them and now always inspect them thoroughly.
It's amazing what people will plug in too! I went to look at... uh I think it was a 201-3 and she goes "here, I'll plug it in so you can see it run..."
I practically yelled at her "No DON'T!!" And that was just the exposed wiring I could see. After that one, even pristine looking motor wiring gets evaluated.

Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
rodney - you're right. it is such an awesome feeling being able to rewire a potted motor. didn't even think for a moment that i could do it. now i can say ' I DID IT' (i guess). thanks.
You're going to love how easy the belted motors are to rewire now that you've done one of the potted motors too. Heck, there's one series of Singer motor that even has marrettes (or however you spell that) and it's always the non-motor side that degrades. 10 minute job if you're prepared.