Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Went to a LSWS and learned something...... >

Went to a LSWS and learned something......

Went to a LSWS and learned something......

Old 01-17-2014, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by oldsewnsew View Post
I actually even use anti-sieze lubricant (from the auto parts store) that I had used on spark plugs. Milk of magnesia also works from what I understand. Although that may be a rumor like WD-40
thanks. i will try this if the stuck screws/parts will not budge or move.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:04 PM

No, that's for after you get the stuck parts out, to keep them from sticking next time.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
sorry you guys had to be the ones to confirm it.
I don't really mind that much. It was a lesson learned and the machine was only a 66 with common decals, and I'd only started when it became apparent. Not a lot of damage was done. Switched straight back to SM oil and have stuck with it since.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:50 AM

when i was reading Rain's blog about potted motor rewiring, he mentioned something about Tri-flow: so i just used regular singer lubricant.

"I would not recommend using Tri-Flow grease, which is impregnated with Teflon, and there’s debate as to whether the Teflon clogs up the wicks, preventing the grease from getting into them properly."
Old 01-21-2014, 12:58 AM

read Rain's blog about potted motor rewiring so many times to make sure i do it right. i did manage to remove my potted motor for rewiring and was totally surprised that the inside electrical cords are all bare wires. couldn't believe my eyes. to think that i was running the motor, all plugged in, with lights on for so many times before i discovered the bared wires inside the motor. i could have toasted my motor.
Attached Thumbnails photo-11.jpg  
Old 01-21-2014, 12:59 AM

Correct. I don't think any of us here recommend TF Grease for the motors. The gears for sure, but not the motors.
The other thing he doesn't mention is that the TFG is synthetic. Allegedly it doesn't melt period. Singer Lube (or the Vaseline it's virtually indistinguishable from) both have a low melting point which is what lets it lube those ares that need the lube in the motor.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Correct. I don't think any of us here recommend TF Grease for the motors. The gears for sure, but not the motors.
The other thing he doesn't mention is that the TFG is synthetic. Allegedly it doesn't melt period. Singer Lube (or the Vaseline it's virtually indistinguishable from) both have a low melting point which is what lets it lube those ares that need the lube in the motor.
no. definitely not the motor. i wouldn't put anything on my motor. 't was for the gears on the potted motor that Rain mentioned. i was filling up the grease wicks container (the two cylinder with screw on cover) with regular singer lubricant as what Rain mentioned. and he said not to use Trif-flow lubricant.
Attached Thumbnails photo-9.jpg  
Old 01-21-2014, 01:19 AM

If it's motor related, I use no TriFlow. That's the general rule. I consider the worm gear in the motor to be part of the motor. That grease pot and wick you're showing does basically lead to the worm gear, if memory serves, so in my mind, they're one and the same. Maybe that's wrong, but eh... it's 2:18Am here... I'm not 100% coherent.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
read Rain's blog about potted motor rewiring so many times to make sure i do it right. i did manage to remove my potted motor for rewiring and was totally surprised that the inside electrical cords are all bare wires. couldn't believe my eyes. to think that i was running the motor, all plugged in, with lights on for so many times before i discovered the bared wires inside the motor. i could have toasted my motor.
you could have toasted more than that!!
Old 01-21-2014, 03:38 PM

Give Thanks!