Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What can I say--Blush, head down >

What can I say--Blush, head down

What can I say--Blush, head down

Old 08-28-2013, 06:02 AM

Cool

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
That fits a Featherweight - please do not cut it!!!
AWESOME definitely don't cut the little cardtable. A Featherweight goes in there. I know because I have 2 FW and 1 cardtable. wish I had a table for my two 301's tho. We went to an auction last night in Minot and I found the treadle legs for a singer. Missing the pitman and the belt, but someone had screwed a small wood top to it. I figure to put a bigger top on it with a drop down on back and side to hold my Singer 1898 Sphinx that I have waiting for a table. We also found a big 4 window picture window and another side window for my new addition when he gets the frame up. Planning on a 12 deep by 26 wide leanto addition on the west side of my house where the old porch used to be. Will have a slab of cement for the floor and have heat running in duct work from the basement. Will have to get a couple of neighbors to help do the work.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:27 AM

*** Midnight Revelations ***
is what I call them are the best.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 AM

Don't cut! The FW tables go for wayyyyyyyy more money than the 301 tables.

Go buy a featherweight :-)
Old 08-28-2013, 09:15 AM
Power Poster

Yes this! If you do not want to get a Feather Weight you can sell it for most likely a good dime.

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
That fits a Featherweight - please do not cut it!!!
Old 08-28-2013, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
If you flip that table over, you'll see that its 2 screws to remove each of the two brackets for the FW.
I would take those off, get some flat stock, drill holes in the FS to match the existing ones in the wood.

No need to cut anything.

Maybe make a 3rd, to support the machine at the front too. The FW is about the same height as the 301, so this should work... Just make sure that the length is right. I think it is, but my FW and 301 are both tucked away at the moment.

This way, if / when you end up with a FW, you can go back to its original state, or leave it convertible. And you don't ruin the resale value.

For the wood, try some Murphy's oil soap. Let it dry completely, give it a very light sand, clean it with a tack cloth and apply some Howard Feed N Wax. If you want to stain and seal, do that before the Feed N Wax.
AArcane, Thank you so much this was exactly what I had in mind, when I was try to explain about it. My 301 is a short bed so it will fit in here just fine.
I just could never bring myself to harm a vintage piece like this, so no worries on that thought all.
I will have to start on the massive rust project first, I think with all of the horizontal pieces it will have to be Naval Jelly, anything small enough to take off I will use Evapo-rust on. What really worries me are the leg hinges, how to get them free of rust. Thank You again.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:43 AM

Amyjo, Great find on the treadle irons and the windows it sounds like you are getting all fixed up for this great hobby with lots of extra space.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Windblown View Post
AArcane, Thank you so much this was exactly what I had in mind, when I was try to explain about it. My 301 is a short bed so it will fit in here just fine.
I just could never bring myself to harm a vintage piece like this, so no worries on that thought all.
I will have to start on the massive rust project first, I think with all of the horizontal pieces it will have to be Naval Jelly, anything small enough to take off I will use Evapo-rust on. What really worries me are the leg hinges, how to get them free of rust. Thank You again.
You know, I bet you could take the FW supports off, turn them upside down so the FW bracket part is facing down, and then reassemble. Instant 301 table, and no lost parts. I would probably still add the 3rd bracket.

Hmmm... I might have to do this myself.

The hinges or the springs that hold them open or closed? I think almost all of it will come apart and can be soaked or uh.... jellied. The springs can be bought from Glenn Williams in Florida, or you can make them with music wire and bake them in the oven to "strain relieve" them. DH did this for me for one hinge and a spring (discontinued) for the bobbin winder on my 115.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

Wonderful story. Love that it has been claimed and can be put to use again with the right machine at some time.
peace
Old 08-28-2013, 08:05 PM

It looks like the one I have for my Featherweight 221.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:09 AM

It could very well be for a featherweight. I would not cut it either...just gives you an excuse to buy a FW.