Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What to do with these two machines >

What to do with these two machines

What to do with these two machines

Old 07-15-2014, 08:17 AM

Default What to do with these two machines

My husband and I have had a running argument for many years as to the worth of these machines.
He was going to fix them but I guess his interest has wained. I'm not sure they are worth their weight in metal.
The one gold one moves freely and appears to be rust free.
The red one is very rusty and moves about half a revolution.
Please let me know if you have trouble accessing these pictures. And I will post them one by one on the fourm.
I am getting ready to have a garage sale and would like some input on as to how much to charge.
Thanks much....love to sew but just can't take on refurbishing now, we are getting ready to move and I'm not taking them with me.
click on link for Photos.

HTML Code:
https://plus.google.com/photos/115096805375712603512/albums/6036321687024717697?authkey=CMTPvIzi9tC4BA
Old 07-15-2014, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

What you paid for them at least and maybe add few extra bucks.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:23 AM

Where are you located? That can make a difference in what people are willing to pay.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:24 AM

Also whether or not they have the treadle base
Old 07-15-2014, 08:41 AM

It appears there is no treadle, no motor, no handcrack so they are heads only. In my area you might be able to get 10-15 dollars for the red eye as home decor, but no guarantee there. If you could find someone who has interest in fixing up the other, it has nice decals so you might get a little more. In a limited market though, you could get stuck with both of them no matter how low you priced them. It all depends on whether someone takes an interest. The ones that get better money have already been fixed up--parts are all moving and there is some way to actually use the machine as well as attachments, manuals, and whatnot.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:19 AM

At your yard sale I'd put the 127 up for $20.00 and the 66 for $10.00. They might or might not sell but that's a good starting point.
The 127 is really nice, the decals are far nicer than those on my example. The 66 looks good too, but it would take a good cleaning to see for sure.

Neither machine is too far gone to be refurbished and used. Both machines are electric motor or hand crank compatible, and they are standard size machines so cases are available.

All that's needed is a treadle cabinet or a case and some ambition. Well ....... a bit of money too, I guess.

Joe
Old 07-15-2014, 02:41 PM

Thanks for all the input...i should have mentioned that I do have the tredle cases, he never refinished those either LOLk
Old 07-15-2014, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
At your yard sale I'd put the 127 up for $20.00 and the 66 for $10.00. They might or might not sell but that's a good starting point.
Joe is right:Heads are hard to sell, but put it in a nice treadle cabinet and it'll walk out (if you do it, you may want to take it with you). Treadle cabinets are also almost worthless without a machine so I'd be on the lookout for one.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by Steady Stitching
Thanks for all the input...i should have mentioned that I do have the tredle cases, he never refinished those either LOLk
Put the heads back in the cabinets and sell them as the assembly they were originally. They are worth more complete than they are separated.

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
Joe is right:Heads are hard to sell, but put it in a nice treadle cabinet and it'll walk out (if you do it, you may want to take it with you). Treadle cabinets are also almost worthless without a machine so I'd be on the lookout for one.
I need at lease 3 treadle cabinets with out machines. I can't find them with or without here in central IL. Not sure why.
Those I have seen either sit cos the prices are too high, or sell before I see the adds.
I see treadles all over the place, just not here.

Joe
Old 07-15-2014, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Put the heads back in the cabinets and sell them as the assembly they were originally. They are worth more complete than they are separated.
I took so long composing my first reply that you'd added that you have the cabinets
If you already have the cabinets, put them back together. An original pairing will fetch you a little more money, although I've put a 1910 model 66 into a deco cabinet and it still sold really quickly.