Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What do YOU use? to repair sewing machine manuals & boxes >

What do YOU use? to repair sewing machine manuals & boxes

What do YOU use? to repair sewing machine manuals & boxes

Old 02-04-2016, 02:09 PM

VSS ? Can you tell what that is please.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by caspharm View Post
You could look for bookbinder's tape. You can look for it online. I have some and use it to repair library books that I have borrowed and they are torn or the binding's broken. The tape has a protective layer that is cut into 3 sections so you can place one section of the tape on the page and not have it adhere to the other page until you are ready. Here is one: Scotch Book Tape, 2 x 540 Inch (845-R). I found it on Amazon, but Staples had some.
Before I posted this - I had looked online and saw that but thought it might be too wide and the middle section would be a different width than what is needed for the pamphlet type manuals.

Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
I tried gluing the cracks in a plastic carrying case with plastic cement, the solvent-based kind that melts the plastic so it runs together and dries adhered to itself. The join still won't bear weight but at least it isn't gaping open any more.
I had a couple of SM cases that had cracks and I used super-glue fix-all adhesive and it seemed to work okay.

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
I scan them and put the original in a plastic sleeve in a large binder. Then I used a copy for general reference.
So I'm guessing that it has to be a really HUGE binder. And you must have gone through a few printers and a great many ink cartridges. LOL Actually, I'm envious of your organized collection. Do you keep the copies with the machines?

What actually prompted this question was I recently bought an Emdeko SM that the original manual was there but the cover was split. I'd like to keep manuals with the machines, especially the ones that came with them. I'm sure a lot of us have seen manuals and cardboard boxes that are either coming apart or had been previously patched with masking tape or old scotch tape that has dried up and/or yellowed. I tend to prefer actual books and pamphlets. I have a couple of vintage (at least now they are) Betty Crocker cookbooks that I have tried clear shipping tape or other tape that I had at the time and the tape has dried up and coming off. The oldest original manuals I have are from the 1903-1905 era - both very fragile and not even sure if all there. I put them in a tyvek envelope. Since they are for Singer 27's I really don't need them. I was thinking that it would be difficult to even scan them.

I may try to find some Book Tape for the Emdeko and a 1972 Necchi-Alco that I have (and cookbooks) and contemplate with some of the others.

Thanks all who have answered.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:18 AM

In addition to the other suggestions, I use archival tape for torn pages in manuals. It is very inconspicuous and sticks to paper very well. The kinds I use are Lineco Document Repair Tape (1" wide) and Lineco Transparent Mending Tissue (0.5" wide). After repair I keep the manuals in heavy ziplock bags and use a copy printed from a scan if I need to refer to something. For the accessory boxes, I have also used archival tape if there are minor tears to the cardboard, but for the most recent repair I covered the box in printed scrap-booking paper to encase the sticky duct tape from another's prior repair. It looks (an works) a thousand percent better than it did before. I will make a replacement lid for the box from card stock and then wrap it in the same paper. This box was almost ready for the trash can so I had no qualms about tampering with the original condition.