Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What have I done to my Featherweight? Help!!!! >

What have I done to my Featherweight? Help!!!!

What have I done to my Featherweight? Help!!!!

Old 06-12-2012, 05:04 PM

No ideas on how to fix it, but just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear what happened. I would be so upset if mine got hurt. It was my first machine given to me in 1959. The only thing that has ever broken on mine was the spool holder which broke in half. Easy fix, I just ordered a new one and it looks as though it has always been there. Glad that yours still works. That is very important.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:23 AM

JB is a great product! Good luck!
Old 06-13-2012, 04:29 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

My DH says JB Weld too... scuff the paint off the joint area, rough up the aluminum a bit, apply the JB Weld, and the next day, sand the weld & paint. So sorry your FW has a boo boo, but a little TLC and she'll be good as new. And don't worry about her value, she means everything to you and that's all that counts.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:19 AM

JB Weld is good, but welding is better. If you want the machine to last like it should you really need to weld it.
Aluminum doesn't require as high of heat to weld as steel. With heat sinc material and protection the effects of the welding on the finish can be localized.

If it were my machine, that's what I'd do.

JMHO

Joe
Old 06-13-2012, 07:25 AM

I would dry fit with the J D Weld and if it fits very well I would use It! and then use a Fine point Sharpy pen .
Old 06-13-2012, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by path49 View Post
I second the JB Weld...great for holding metal to metal.
Third vote for JB Weld!! Great stuff.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
JB Weld is good, but welding is better. If you want the machine to last like it should you really need to weld it.
Aluminum doesn't require as high of heat to weld as steel. With heat sinc material and protection the effects of the welding on the finish can be localized.

If it were my machine, that's what I'd do.

JMHO

Joe
My dh agrees. He said the jb weld will need to be ground down and painted anyways, and if the machine gets jarred on the corner it will be easy to break off again.
Old 06-14-2012, 02:56 AM

Oh, so sad to hear of your FW owie..... but it sounds like a lot of people have some great suggestions. My Viking dropped on the floor face first probably 40 years ago and while it had a little scuffing it still would sew up a storm. I gave that machine to my granddaughter several years ago and she didn't mind the damage either as long as it was sewing a good seam. So, while it stings to see your baby get hurt, its life hasn't been shortened. They are such great machines.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by JAllen View Post
PLEASE help me!! I have a Singer Featherweight Model 221 Serial# AD545177 that I purchased several years ago. She is my dream machine and was in very, very good condition. To make a long story short, she got knocked off the table that she was sitting on. It broke off part of the cast metal right rear corner. It's the area where the right rear bumper ring is located. I am just sick over it. My husband wants to glue it back on with super glue, but I'm not sure that that is the way to go. Any suggestions on how to repair this? Will the break and repair affect it's value? Someone please tell me I have not ruined my dream machine. I appreciate any help and comments.

P.S. I love the Quilting Board!
So SORRY about your baby. JB Weld - you can get it at a hardware store or Home Depot. Good Luck
Old 06-14-2012, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by JAllen View Post
Yes, it still runs like a dream.
So glad to hear that!