What kind of machine is this?

Old 11-26-2017, 12:43 PM

The design is interesting though. I have no idea about the factory in Mexico, what I find here is mostly Scotland, the odd model from Germany, even rarer Italy or US. I would guess a Singer established factory in those days had quality control and the right people to train employees. Japan didn't always have the best reputation either, but lots of people here insist they are just as good. I know Japanese bicycle gear hubs were not up to par with the equivalent German or British made stuff until the 1970s, and even then still not as solid and hard wearing. I have a Shimano 3CC 3 speed hub that compares well to other old 3 speeds, hard to disregard them completely.

Last edited by Mickey2; 11-26-2017 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:08 PM

Here's the black aluminium 201

A beige 185, the stitch length lever is like the later 99s on this model.

The later look is not very far from the 401, but they made the 401 a bit more lumpy.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:48 PM

It does look a lot like the aluminum 201. I'm thinking the 201 has more space between needle and pillar, probably to account for the type of bobbins used.

I like the treadle picture posted by bkay. It looks like it is good shape, especially if the top (when closed) is in as good a condition. It looks like it has some 'goodies' in the drawer. Maybe the manual is in one of the drawers? Have you looked to see what they have sold for on ebay? I can't tell if it has the drop feed where the white circle is? If it is ready to go, it doesn't seem like an outrageous price, although I wouldn't pay that much.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.