What kind of machine is this?

Old 11-26-2017, 07:51 AM

Default What kind of machine is this?

A friend sent me these photos and wants to know about it. It's a treadle, obviously. It kind of looks like a 15-125, except the tension is on the wrong side. I didn't have any answers nor did it show up in the usual places I look.

bkay

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584345[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]584346[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails project1a.png   project1.jpg  
Old 11-26-2017, 08:11 AM
Power Poster

Don't know but it's sure a cutie, and in beautiful shape, too. You usually see that shape in a green machine. Curious to see what the experts say.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
A friend sent me these photos and wants to know about it. It's a treadle, obviously. It kind of looks like a 15-125, except the tension is on the wrong side. I didn't have any answers nor did it show up in the usual places I look.

bkay
I think you will find the model number on stitch length plate. I believe it is a 191 of some sort. I think that there have been a few that are similar with model 179, I think. A couple of links are Singer 191J vintage sewing machine and http://www.victoriansweatshop.com/po...singer-8388001 The VSS is kind of convoluted but somewhere in there is a manual for that machine. I think singerco.com manual is for a very similar machine, that they list as a 115. Also Facebook I think has one for a 179N that is similar, too.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:32 AM

It looks exactly like my begie 201K23, the aluminium version of the 201, belt driven motor. The first version was black, made a couple of years in the early 50s. Later it came in beige or two tone beige. It's missing too spool pins, and the only odd thing is the stitch length lever, I have never seen one quite like that, only the standard single piece verions.

I'm not entirely sure, I have seen a few German made models that have intersted me, very close to models like the 201 or 206 with out being exactly the same. The treadle table might be older than the machine, I suspect this because of the ornament on the drawers, there's six of them and the hinged extension lid. It has the simpler threadle mechanism and feet like the later ones, but the top looks pre 1950, the machine post 1950.

Any further identification probably requires a picture of the bobbin case and under the base. Could easily be a 191, sometimes they have a badge showing the model number under the stitch length lever. It looks like there's a number to the right on the stitch length plate.

Last edited by Mickey2; 11-26-2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:38 AM

I think Janey is right and it is some kind of 191. Really cool looking:-)
Old 11-26-2017, 09:42 AM

I played with the photo in a photo program. It appears to be a 191R-21, according to the numbers on the stitch length plate. (It's still fuzzy, so I'm not absolutely sure.) Thanks, Mickey.

Thanks, Janey. You are always such great help. I followed the links you provided and was able to make out the model number from the two posts.

The seller is asking $200. for it. I don't know if my friend will pay that or not. I probably wouldn't - even though I'm unlikely to see another one.

bkay
Old 11-26-2017, 10:16 AM

Found some more info. The 191r was made in Nuevo Leon, Mexico by singer mexico. The one on youtube.com (in Spanish) sounds like a thrashing machine. It came in white and tan, also. There are some for sale in border cities (El Paso, etc)on letgo.com.

The 191 appears to have been made in Europe as well. The 191J (in German, I think) on Youtube.com sounds nice and smooth like the other old singers.

It appears to be close in design to the 185K.

bkay
Old 11-26-2017, 11:27 AM

So esentially a 99? It's not a bad model at all. Is there a chance the 191 is aluminium? The idea of a 3/4 size light weight is always intriguing.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:40 AM

I found two youtube videos, it looks like it takes class 15 bobbin and bobbin case. Several of the older models were given the new look in the early 1950s; the 99 became 185, the old 201 were given an aluminium body with the updated design 201K23. The old 15 were given a new body, several versions of it; black, beige, green. I know some complain the 185 has a more noisy motor than the old 99s. I guess it could be the motor design, but of course cleaning, regreasing and new belt makes all the difference too. The 191 could be a derivative of the old 15?
Old 11-26-2017, 12:22 PM

It could very well be. I said in the initial post that it looked like a 15-125 with the tension in the wrong place.

It really pretty and sleek for a treadle. I'm holding out for one of those 4XX zig-zag treadles that was posted a few weeks back.

I'll let you know if she buys it. Made in Mexico does not engender the same confidence as made in Canada, the UK or Germany, though.

bkay