Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What machine to give to my step son? >

What machine to give to my step son?

What machine to give to my step son?

Old 07-10-2012, 09:26 PM

Default What machine to give to my step son?

Step son, 44 years old, wants a sewing machine. For several years now he's wanted one, and we picked him up a Kenmore 158-13470 with most of it's attachments and owners manual a couple years ago for real cheep. He doesn't know this.
Today I went through it and really cleaned it good. Oiled it, checked it out. Tested a new button holler attachment we got for it some time back and pronounced it good to go.

We have a couple packs of brandy new Schmetz needles, and all it needs is a straight stitch presser foot and it's complete.

The thing is, he doesn't know what he wants. He's a member of the Creative Anachronism group and needs a machine to sew costumes. He's also got some upholstery to do. And when queried about weather or not he wants a ZZ machine he has no idea. We are not even sure how much experience he has with a sewing machine.

We have a bunch of machines around here, but nothing that I can really point out that would work for him, except this Kenmore. It's simple as far as a ZZ machine goes, the instructions in the manual are very simple and easy to follow. He needs that, as he has trouble following written directions.

I'm really conflicted, I'd like to give him an old straight stitch cast iron machine but I really don't have one with a reverse or back tacker I don't use here.

What to do? I've become attached to this machine. It's a keeper. All metal inside, sews great, simple to use, great instruction manual, and it sews great.
I don't wanna give it to him now. Sigh ..............

I'm a mean old step dad ..............

Joe
Old 07-10-2012, 09:32 PM

OK Joe, fess up. you really don't want him to have this machine do you? find another one like it then and give that to him. a 15-91 would work for him heavy duty, reverse, he really doesn't need a zig zag. I have never used it to make the clown costumes that I have made. Plain jane straight stitch. Esp if you don't know his experience with a sewing machine. By the way, isn't he old enough to get his own? JMO, Amy
Old 07-11-2012, 03:44 AM

I have the same problem with machines that I acquire with intention to pass along. I clean them, oil then, get them stitching and then want to keep them......It's a dilemma. Still, zig zag is pretty useful and if he doesn't like it he can trade it for one with just straight stitch. The Kenmore is easy to use and thread and learn on. I think its a great machine for him.....
Old 07-11-2012, 04:48 AM

Amy,

Long story short, this kid and his brother were rebellious to the point that nothing their mother or I could do could get them to stay in high school. Both dropped out. Both are intelligent in many ways. Neither can read and comprehend instructions worth a hoot.
Txxxxx simply wants someone who knows about sewing machines to help him get set up. After that he'll be pretty much on his own and he knows it.

If I came across a 15-91 he'd never know it as I'd be keeping it for myself. Now a nice shiny 15 clone that runs good is a horse of a different color. That I could set up for him real easy. Hmmmmmm .....

Lizzy,
That's the big problem. It would be a good machine for him because as a ZZ it is simple and this example works very well.
I'm thinking I should just shut my yap and send it along as it was originally bought for him.

Joe
Old 07-11-2012, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by amyjo View Post
OK Joe, fess up. you really don't want him to have this machine do you? find another one like it then and give that to him. a 15-91 would work for him heavy duty, reverse, he really doesn't need a zig zag. I have never used it to make the clown costumes that I have made. Plain jane straight stitch. Esp if you don't know his experience with a sewing machine. By the way, isn't he old enough to get his own? JMO, Amy
I agree. A 15-91 will sew through anything and you can buy the zig zag attachment that fits the short shanks. I have one and it works. (and you can find him a clone for even less).
Old 07-13-2012, 06:47 AM

Joe,
I know what you mean about the Kenmore. I have a 158.13571 that I bought new about 1978. I've sewn just about everything on that machine, drapes, couch covers, jeans, all sorts of clothes, and it powered through anything I put under the needle. It's still a great machine. I have promised it to my son, and he will get it as soon as we decide to drive the 12 hours to take it to him. I will probably miss it when it's gone.