What Is This Part Called?

Old 03-14-2015, 09:27 AM

Default What Is This Part Called?

I'm working on my sister in law's 1919 Singer 66 Red Eye and this part from the spoked wheel assembly is broken. I've tried finding it on sew-classic with no luck (even though I'm part Irish and today is the St Patrick's day parade, seriously? Lol). It might help if I know the actual name for the part. As an update on the machine (my original post was "Family Sewing Machine Surprise") I've gotten her mostly cleaned up and oiled and she moves easily and smoothly now. There was so much lint inside the bobbin area that I had asked on here if this model didn't have the red felt oil thingy. It turns out it was in there hidden under piles of dust and lint. I'll attach a picture of that as well. You can see a tiny bit of red as I was pulling out the parts. I don't think the bobbin area was ever cleaned or oiled. I also think my sister in law's grandmother was a smoker. The machine has a grimy coating all over it and it seems like nicotine to me.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:45 AM

I'm not sure of the correct name. Clutch washer maybe. There should be a lot of them floating around out there. Sometimes the brown coating on machines is a failing shellac clear coat. You might want to read Glenn's tutorial on repairing the shellac clear coat if that's the case.
If you let it go too long the decals can be damaged beyond saving.
Rodney
Old 03-14-2015, 09:50 AM

It's part #171502 and it's called "Stop Motion Clamp Washer". According to the 66-1,4, 6 parts breakdown I have.

I've never seen one that looks like that.

Joe

Last edited by J Miller; 03-14-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:05 AM
Power Poster

There are a lot of different looking "Stop Motion Clamp Washers" out there. You should not have to find an exact match for it to work on that machine.