Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What should I use to free up the stitch regulator knob? >

What should I use to free up the stitch regulator knob?

What should I use to free up the stitch regulator knob?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:35 PM

There are ways.... Even if you have to sacrifice the knob. (file. Flats on it and use a wrench)

I seriously would try some automatic tranny fluid or some kerosene before you give up.
And consider a rubber mallet tap lightly on the knob as if it was a nail...careful the cast iron is brittle.....the object is a little vibration to loosen the rust in the threads.

Last edited by greywuuf; 04-05-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:37 PM

Make sure you really spray it good. This stuff stinks worse than WD40. I have had really good luck with this product.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
Well, I used heat today and cleaned out everything I could..... still won't budge. I'm going to try the blaster tonight and see what happens in the morning..... I think this knob is rusted too much to get loose...... one more day of trying to loose it..... cross your fingers.
is it rust or dried on oil? Dried on oil is like gum and until you get it hot enough or remove it, it won't move.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:51 AM

!!!***SUCCESS***!!! Yeah!!! I am so happy. I went downstairs to work on it this morning and it still wouldn't budge..... I was ready to give up..... but there was a screw under the wheel that wouldn't budge either and it looked to me that it might connect with that stitch regulator. I started blasting it and trying to loosen it a few times and 'POP' it started to move. I removed it, cleaned it up, put more blaster in, cleaned it, and oiled it, then screwed it back in. It worked for the screw so I started doing the same thing for the knob..... had to do it more times but finally I was able to get it to move with the pliers.... just a little,..... blast some more..... move it a little more..... It was still so tight that I figured I was never going to be able to screw and unscrew it with my fingers. But after lots of metal cleaning, oiling, and moving in in and out..... it works!! Yeah!!

I was ready to give up but you all really kept me trying everything. Thanks you all so much!!
Old 04-06-2012, 08:25 AM

YAY! big thumbs up. glad you got it moving. I really like the model 27 I saved. I find them very soothing.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:13 AM

I also collect fountain pens. One indispensable tool is a pair of regular pliers with the jaws covered with rubber hose. You use them to remove the section from the barrel. (Part that holds the point from the big part.)
But for stubborn screws and nobs you don't want to mar they work great. You can put a lot of torque on the stuck nob and not mess it up.

Joe
Old 04-08-2012, 04:51 AM

Thanks Joe, I wish I had seen your suggestion before I worked on that knob...... I did mar it a little but I think it will work itself out as it is used...... I can turn it with my fingers now!! I am so happy!!

My sister-in-law has another treadle that she's going to keep..... I know more about cleaning them up now.... thanks to all you vintage enthusiasts...... so I can help her with hers.

I only have 5 machines and a serger (2 featherweights, 2 Vikings, and now this treadle). I feel a new thing to start collecting.... I see them sell at auctions all summer.... now I'm on the lookout!! Don't know where I will put them but I'll find a place. HeeHee!!