Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What should I use to free up the stitch regulator knob? >

What should I use to free up the stitch regulator knob?

What should I use to free up the stitch regulator knob?

Old 04-02-2012, 04:09 AM

Unhappy What should I use to free up the stitch regulator knob?

I've tried everything I have...... fluid film worked on the rusted up bobbin winder and it wouldn't move. It turns freely now..... winds a bobbin nicely.

But this stubborn stitch regulator knob won't budge...... and alas, I scratched the decal trying to use a pair of pliars to move it.

I polished the parts I could polish. My son finally got the screw loose that had the plate over the feed dog. I took out years of packed in fuzz... don't know how the feed dog could even move!!

Do any of you have any suggestions about how to get this stitch regulator to move??? I think it's the only thing left that isn't moving freely.... and even though it sews, the stitch is too long. Of course I still need to do the shellac refinishing that Glenn so kindly has be telling about. This is a pretty machine.... even with its scratch..... I'm so mad at myself for that.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:48 AM

Nanna, I think Miriam uses a synthetic oil called "Tri-Flo"...applies it, lets it sit, wiggles, applies a bit more..repeatedly until it comes loose.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:15 PM

Thanks for the info..... I'll have to try and find 'Tri-Flo'. Does anyone have an idea where I might find this? Is it something I'd find at auto-zone, or TSC? I'll start looking.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:21 PM

Send Miriam a PM....I don't recall having seen it around here...
Old 04-02-2012, 02:43 PM

Sew-Classics has it.
http://shop.sew-classic.com/

Joe
Old 04-02-2012, 03:20 PM

Default while tri flo is good.....

It is rather expensive .... I have used kerosene, diesel (heating oil) and one of the favorites is hydraulic fluid (oil... Or automatic transmission oil) another one with a slightly more pleasant smell is "marvel mystery oil" (basicly thin hydraulic oil with a scent added) all of these are good penetrants and are sold in at least quart quantities for the price of or less than a two ounce bottle of tri flo. I realize that you may only need a squirt..... But myself I have at time resorted to sinking an entire sewing head in a bucket. Then again I take on some things that should honestly reside in a landfill. Good luck!

Dan
Old 04-02-2012, 05:44 PM

Tri-flow is also available in bike shops.

Tri-flow also contains silicone - which makes everything slide/work really, really nice.

Shari
Old 04-03-2012, 02:19 AM
Power Poster

I like tri-flow - I just wonder about the long term affect - I have stuck knobs on a couple machines too - the triflow wasn't enough - probably didn't penetrate enough yet. I am thinking heat might help. You want to be careful around any plastic - is there dried on oil or rust? some oils dry and are very gummy - you have to remove that gum or nothing will move.
As far as a bucket - that's ok if you plan to re-paint I guess. Muv has a really good video on the sticky at the top of the sewing machine section.
I get the Triflow from sew-classic - one bottle goes all year for me - very much worth the money.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:15 AM

Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

I might give the tri-flow a try if I can find it. The penetrant I've been using, fluid film, is some great stuff and I'm surprized it hasn't worked yet. I'll keep trying. It was amazing how it loosened up the bobbin winder. That wouldn't move either. I think it just hasn't been able to get into the spot where it's stuck. You're right...... only a tiny amount of oil would go into that area. There isn't any plastic on this machine anywhere..... it probably predates plastic..... 1899.

I think it's so great that when you have a question all you have to do is ask here on the QB! Someone always comes up with the ideas to try.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Power Poster

try heat - lock it in your car on a warm day