What are these for?

Old 11-29-2013, 05:35 AM

Default What are these for?

Does anyone know what this little selector (small white dial with +- on it ) is for? There's also another larger selector thats kinda star shaped and sits above the needle bar assembly. I never noticed these adjustors until I started cleaning and oiling this machine. This is the Necchi 4795 I'm working on. Thanks for all the help.
Attached Thumbnails dscf0406-copy.jpg   dscf0411.jpg  
Old 11-29-2013, 06:37 AM

I've seen a similar +/- knob on Kenmore machines that regulate the quality of reverse stitching.

The knob in the presser bar area might control presser foot pressure.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:08 AM

Mark is correct. Start shaped knob regulates presser foot tension. The + / - controls the stitch density of button hole sides. At least it does on the Kenmores and Singers I've got.

Joe
Old 11-29-2013, 09:35 AM

Thank you very much. I never knew sewing machines even had presser foot pressure adjustments. I thought everything was set by a spring. It looks like I have a LOT to learn.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by crocee View Post
Thank you very much. I never knew sewing machines even had presser foot pressure adjustments. I thought everything was set by a spring. It looks like I have a LOT to learn.
Most of the older machines had some system of varying the tension on the presser bar spring, thus varying the presser foot pressure.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:06 AM

Crocee just listen to these guys. They know it. And are willing to get on here and help anyone.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by barny View Post
Crocee just listen to these guys. They know it. And are willing to get on here and help anyone.
Before I joined this site I never gave a thought to the inner workings and cleaning of a sewing machine. As long as it would sew a straight line that looked good I was a happy camper. In the recent past I've obtained several vintage machines and learned there's a whole lot more than making that line look good. You guys are the best.