Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
what would y'all offer for this? >

what would y'all offer for this?

what would y'all offer for this?

Old 08-17-2012, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by jennb View Post
Well he gave them to me and i just couldnt say no. Theyre frozen up but the rust doesnt go so.deep that all hope is lost on them. Theyll have to.wait a good while before they get attention though.
Jenn you have you hands full with these but with care you can bring them back to life. It will take lots of time but should be fun to try.

Skip
Old 08-17-2012, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by jennb View Post
Well he gave them to me and i just couldnt say no. Theyre frozen up but the rust doesnt go so.deep that all hope is lost on them. Theyll have to.wait a good while before they get attention though.
It made me sad when I saw the pictures of them. Good for you for rescueing them! Give them your best shot and if it doesn't work out, at least you tried!
Old 08-17-2012, 06:02 PM

The Singer I can figure out but this Union Special one has me puzzled. I can't find any info on it. I see there is still a "union special" in business and they make sewing machines, but they had no clue when I contacted them. The Serial number is 160089 on it.

The guy who had them said they were part of the contents of a factory/warehouse that had not been in operation for more than a decade, but he found documents dating the opening of it to 1867, and he wasn't entirely sure if these were original to the factory or not. From what he gathered they produced garments of some sort but what specifically he did not know. He said they weren't this bad when he got them but he had sat them on his porch and forgot about them so they were out in the elements for about 4 months. Quite a bit of rust just came off on my hands from lifting them (and this thing is like an anvil. WAY heavier than any of my other machines. I had to use both hands to lift it out of the back of my SUV.) I'll go get some (alot) of evaporust tomorrow and start soaking away. I guess it cant hurt them to sit in that for a good while.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:07 PM

Nope. You couldn't pay me to take that stuff!
Old 08-19-2012, 03:58 PM

I wouldn't!
Old 08-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Power Poster

Not for me, I don't time to mess with them.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:28 PM

i wouldnt offer anything cuz i dont want them... they look like they have seen their better days.... good luck if you want them.. smile