Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
What is your personal collection style? >

What is your personal collection style?

What is your personal collection style?

Old 06-27-2014, 08:04 AM

As far as my personal collection is concerned, I’m all over the place on eras, types, and models. I can see that I’m attracted to several different directions that a collection can go, but I’d say that most of mine have been dictated by what has been available locally. I’ve went a long distance for a few, but I’ve latched onto the majority of them when found locally.

I’m a sucker for Singers, even though my very first machine is a White treadle (Grandma’s). And I like handcranks (17) & treadles (19 - although I only have 10 treadle stands for them at this point) of all brands. I’ve got way more electric machines than I need, but I only use 4-5 of them. If given a choice, I’d rather use a people-powered machine.

I’ve also been concentrating on accumulating “people-powered” machines that fit in well with our little sewing business. I get a real charge out of using a handcrank or treadle machine to mend something for someone else, whether it’s handcranking my 66 on the tailgate of my pickup in a Farmer’s lot, or using my Boot Patcher to sew a lady’s purse back together at the shop. My wife did some alterations on our handcrank Singer 201 at the shop one day when the power was out for a couple of hours, so she’s kind of getting into it as well. She’s keeping it at the shop now for the next time that the power goes out. When the power is on though, she’ll use one of her electric Singer 401A machines. I’m thinking about adding my Singer 216G HC to the 201 HC for her at the shop, so she’ll have a zigzag handcrank if she needs it.

Just having non-electric machines setting in the shop gets a lot of attention, and people seem to like them. And when folks find out that they’re not just for decoration, but are actually machines that we use, it makes it all the better.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 06-27-2014, 09:38 AM
Banned

Well, it is pretty well know that I collect Victorian Machines.

I "want" to collect the oldest industrial machines use for production I can find, but my personal obsession turns out to be handcranks.

My goal is to acquire as much "factory" stuff as I can. as an example I am talking with a person right now who has an original 1890 factory table section. It was set up for steam power. If I am able to get is sorted out, it will go into storage until we can open a physical museum, where I envision it with a set of matching 31-15's set up as in the day.

I have a couple antique suppliers keeping an eye out for tooling, fixtures, etc from old factories. I have an antique tool web blog group helping me identify all of the machines illustrated in the 1881 Scientific American issue that shows the inside of the Wheeler & Wilson factory...

The goal is to open a museum/antique appreciate business. Teaching the use of old machines, the use of accessories, the cleaning and even the restoration of old machines.

I am currently researching the cities of Oakland and San Francisco to see what buildings are still around from the 1800's and specifically any that we documented to be involved in the textile/garment trade. (SF is hard because of the fire destroying so much) The hope is to use one of those as a site.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

How do you collectors feel about Necchis?

I don't see much about them on this board - - - -
Old 06-27-2014, 09:54 AM
Banned

for myself, I have a WWII era Necchi BC (Straight Stitch) it has some of the tightest tolerances of any machine I own. the stitching is very precise.

It get's stiff easily with neglect, but a couple drops of Tri-Flow and she hums along.

(This machine is on the chopping block as it is too new for my collection and I just do not have the room for "strays")
Old 06-27-2014, 10:22 AM

A Necchi Supernova is on my "dream list" and just because I'm in love with the rotating needle plate. But I don't want it enough to pay the price of the ones I've encountered so far.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:56 AM

If I had to use one word for my style it would be "opportunistic". If I like the way a machine looks and I have the money it comes home with me. I like them all except the more modern plastic ones.
I love the Victorian machines like Steve's but realistically I know they're something I can't collect. I don't have the money or the space to display them properly.
I envy Steve and Macybaby's ability to stay within their sets of guidelines for machines they collect. I take whatever catches my attention at the moment. My oldest machine is a Singer model 27 from 1908 and the newest is my Riccar from the 1980s.
I do have a special fondness for anything Art Deco and the space age styling of Singer Rocketeers though I haven't managed to acquire one yet. I also like gadgets like buttonholers and zigzaggers and any machine that uses cams.
For sewing I prefer the old straight stitch machines though. They're smoother and quieter running than any of the zigzag machines I own.
Rodney
Old 06-27-2014, 12:27 PM

My style closely resembles what CD said in his post above. We buy what calls to us, fix it as needed, try it and if we like it maybe go for others of the same brand or style.

I don't "collect" Singers per-sae, but we have a bunch of them. Most of them are daily users.
The ones I like to collect are the SEWMOR machines. I like them, I like the differences they have to Singers, I like the variations in designs, and the way they sew.

I also collect 15 Clones. Not sure how long that's going to work though.

Generally if we buy a machine that intrigues us we'll get it, then try it and perhaps keep it. Otherwise it gets adopted out.

Kind of a non directional collector / amassor aren't I?

Joe
Old 06-27-2014, 01:12 PM

At first it was practicality. I wanted something to sew with, then I started with modern machines because I wanted a reverse. Years go by and I meet you all and now the reasons are expanding from entirely sentimental to that's so pretty to I need a workhorse. QB has become my enabler & educator. I may tease but I really appreciate all the knowledge & shared comradery here.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by cjtinkle View Post
Well I'm afraid my obsession is a bit on the flaky side. If I find a vintage machine that is cosmetically flawless, it comes home with me. They're easy to fix and it's rare to find one that can't be made to run like new. I did run across a Singer Rocketeer that was absolutely perfect the other day and walked away though... still can't believe I did that. Probably because it came right on the heels of finding a perfect Bernina 830 (which did follow me home) that I paid a pretty penny for.[ATTACH=CONFIG]480563[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]480564[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]480564[/ATTACH]
great looking machine
Old 06-27-2014, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post

My other goal was to find one of each that fit the 12 Boye shuttles offered in the very early 1900's. And while

But my real obsession is with attachments. I've only got a few of the rare/expensive Singer ones that I'm missing - but I keep finding more older attachments I've not seen before.

Seriously, I think you have the makings of a good book there, invaluable for the hobbyist or collector.