Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
what is your ultimate must have machine for your collection? >

what is your ultimate must have machine for your collection?

what is your ultimate must have machine for your collection?

Old 05-30-2015, 04:10 AM

I think I'd get a 201 if one ever crossed my path, would like a Pfaff, and would love to get a (don't hate me) Sweet 16 mid-arm for quilting (I know, that's not vintage!). Oh, then there's a fiddle base machine, a nice shiny chrome filled dashboard machine...and probably a lot more I can't think of now!
Old 05-30-2015, 11:19 AM

I need to play with the ones I already have! I wouldn't mind some colored machines though- like hot pink, blue..I have a blue one I got recently but haven't had time to play with it- maybe today would work out for that since the college kids have my townhome pretty much organized - at least enough to move around in and that machine is in a good spot by a window so when more rain comes today I'll have something to look at..so tired of the rain here!

I would still like a pretty treadle that's fairly easy to use and a fiddle base or handcrank with pretty rose/floral decals.

Mavis I hear you on the sweet 16 - I have modern too and love going back and forth depending on my needs and mood!
Old 05-30-2015, 03:01 PM

likingquilting - they'd all have to hate me if they hated you for wanting a Sweet 16! I've spend more money on my brand new machine than all my vintage ones put together!

And I just ordered the Pro-stitcher to go with it.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:45 PM

i am still looking for a necchi julia. that will be my ultimate machine. if anyone has one, please ping me. or i could probably trade these 3 cabinets with 4 machines for a necchi julia. .
Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2015-06-01-12.45.53-am.png  

Last edited by singerguy; 05-31-2015 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by singerguy View Post
i am still looking for a necchi julia.
I have one on the shed. Awesome machine.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:31 AM

I'm not sure I have an ultimate must have machine. There are more than a few on the "want" list. I still want a few examples of earlier electric conversions for my "History of Electric Sewing Machines" display and there are a few older machines that I just plain like the looks of. The Free art nouvaeu Peacock machine is one and the Franklin Scarab pattern machine is another. I like anything with MOP too.
White had some really funky Art Deco designs that I really like as well under their own name and as some of their badged machines.
A patcher would be nice too though I doubt I would use it much.
Rodney
Old 06-02-2015, 06:16 AM

I always see machines I would love to own, but I don't have the space to collect like I'd LIKE to. My house is full and I can't afford commercial space or land like some of you lucky people have.

I'm interested in the engineering changes in the machines, so if I had the space to really go nuts I'd probably be trying to put together a collection that demonstrated the evolution of the technology. That would be really cool and a lot of fun to learn all about and put together; could probably spend a lifetime trying to fill in all the details.

But I don't have anything like that kind of space, so I'm not really looking for anything at the moment. I wanted a Rocketeer badly for a long time and now I have a good one so I pretty much already have what I REALLY wanted.

I'd love to get a large throat sit-down quilter like a Sweet 16 some day. But again...space. And that's not really for a collection, that's just for practical purposes.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:40 PM

If space and money wheren't really an issue, I'd love to collect many different types of machines, ones using different types of shuttles and feet and needles etc. and build, find, and test parts for them. I'd own or have access to a great machine shop too, even be able to cast iron and steel, so I could make replacement parts and publish the specifications on how to make them.

There's going to be a time when we run out of original shuttles, needle clamps, etc. for our lovelies, and I'd like to have the info on how to keep them running for generations to come. Not just in the name of preserving history, but, for me, it'd be even more about empowering others so they can make their own choices because you don't really have a choice if you don't have spare parts.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:04 PM
Banned

back in 2013, my "Must Have" was a Grover and Baker. I have now done the catch and release on 4 of them.... I am still searching for one now, but only a nice looking head for a double chain-stitch machine.

My #1 must have has still eluded me. I was even given a bag of parts for one, hoping it would "bait" the rest, but so far no joy. I am looking for a Singer 46K1

Here is a link to one in the Victoria museum collection - - http://museumvictoria.com.au/collect...6k-singer-1917

That particular one was made later than my collection time-frame, but I would not care if I found one. This was a machine made specifically for sewing ladies gloves.
Old 06-04-2015, 05:15 PM

Steve, that's a beautiful machine!

Jeanette