Wheeler & Wilson 8 Help!

Old 08-06-2017, 09:04 AM

Default Wheeler & Wilson 8 Help!

I have a "new" W&W No. 8. treadle. I've got it cleaned and oiled, but it isn't sewing right. No matter which foot I use, the wide top of the needle shank hits the hole on the left side.

I bought a dozen needles from Jon, so I am positive they are the right ones. The glass foot (I only found one with the machine) had a chip in the same spot. That makes me think this was already a problem, but the last owner used it anyway.

I also made very sure the feet were inserted and secured firmly and correctly, and the needle is in the right direction all the way up til it stops.

The machine is also missing the lower tension adjustment screw, so I can only sew at one tension and have set the upper to match. The stitches are straight and even, it's just the needle clipping the feet.

Any ideas what is wrong?
Old 08-06-2017, 04:27 PM

Hi,

All the W&W #8's use a 126x1 which is a round shanked needle. There is a 127x1 flat shanked needle which you do not want to use. I'd try the W&W IO group which I'd recommend to anyone with a Wheeler & Wilson. Miller will likely be of great help and is familiar with the #8.

Jon

https://groups.io/g/Wheeler_and_Wilson-Sewing-Machines
Old 08-06-2017, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by jlhmnj View Post
Hi,

All the W&W #8's use a 126x1 which is a round shanked needle. There is a 127x1 flat shanked needle which you do not want to use. I'd try the W&W IO group which I'd recommend to anyone with a Wheeler & Wilson. Miller will likely be of great help and is familiar with the #8.

Jon

https://groups.io/g/Wheeler_and_Wilson-Sewing-Machines

Hi Jon! The needles I bought from you are round (4 tubes of Boye 27) for W&W 6, 7, & 8. The one that was with the machine was also round, but it was broken so I never got to use it.

I will check out the W&W group. Thanks!
Old 08-09-2017, 07:10 AM
Banned

Remove the presser foot and see how it enters the hole in the needle plate. This will tell you if the head is somehow out of alignment or if the issue is with the presserbar or foot.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:14 PM

Well...
I took off the foot and looked at the needle and the hole. It doesn't touch anywhere, but (<<this is a very big but) - the hole has been gouged out in several directions and is probably twice the size it should be. (Remember that broken needle it came with?) The plate may be a replacement, because the metal looks different and it doesn't fit perfectly like the other two. Hmmmm.

I will look for another plate in addition to the lower tension screw. If it is the presser bar or other mis-alignment, what next? This is the oldest machine I have so far, and my first pre-1900.
K
Old 08-09-2017, 07:16 PM

Jon - I joined the W&W group today and got approved. Thanks for the tip!