Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Wheeler & Wilson9/Singer 9W Serials >

Wheeler & Wilson9/Singer 9W Serials

Wheeler & Wilson9/Singer 9W Serials

Old 09-13-2012, 05:00 PM

Hi All Found you all while I was looking for info on a Wheeler & Wilson W9 I just bought today ! it is in a 3 drawer cabinet with a coffin top and the serial number is 245022 . is there somewhere to find out when it was made ? or a place to get a instruction booklet on it ? Or even a rough Idea on value?
Old 09-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Power Poster

Welcome, Crazy!
I'm missing a slide plate on my W&W too. I pulled one off my old Singer 15 and it is a hair too wide and a half inch too long. I'm wondering is a metal worker could 'fix' it.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:25 PM

Ummm, do you have a file? Do you have a Dremel tool? All kinds of ways to "fit" parts that didn't come from the machine it's going on.

J e
Old 09-18-2012, 02:39 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Ummm, do you have a file? Do you have a Dremel tool? All kinds of ways to "fit" parts that didn't come from the machine it's going on.

J e
It is what I had in mind - slide plate off the Singer 15 is rusty too - so is the rest of the machine...
Old 07-08-2013, 08:05 PM

I just got a w9 it also shows d9 on nameplate this weekend. S/n 2709457 looking for help getting it cleaned up. It uses the donut bobbins. It is a 7 drawer. I have a post on the vintage website with more pics and info. I,m new to this posting so I had some help from others getting on the correct forum.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 07-09-2013, 09:04 AM

Hi all, my Singer 9W uses the longer needles, and has the donut bobbin. The serial number is 3151727. I don't have a cabinet for it, the lady that gave it to me wanted to keep the cabinet. I have tried it out on another treadle base, it sews a beautiful stitch. Gotta love these oldies but goodies.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:42 AM

Default My W& W D9

Originally Posted by oreo1912 View Post
I just got a w9 it also shows d9 on nameplate this weekend. S/n 2709457 looking for help getting it cleaned up. It uses the donut bobbins. It is a 7 drawer. I have a post on the vintage website with more pics and info. I am new to this posting so I had some help from others getting on the correct forum.
Hi All,
I have had this beautiful cabinet for many many years and during these years I did not have any interest in treadle machine except for furniture. I recently opened the cabinet and took out the head. S/N 2378452 It definitely needs some oil soaking before I try to turn anything. I hope to find someone who can help me restore her and will welcome any suggestions. I am in the Houston, Texas area. I do have attachments and found a printed guide to the use of them on the W&W site. Orginially there was a wooden puzzle box in one of the drawers that held the attachments but during a time that I used the cabinet as furniture at my office the wooden box disappeared. Who ever took it left the attachments and directions. The directions are very brittle and have crumbled into mostly tiny pieces. I am pretty excited to start restoration on my D9 now.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:16 AM

Hi Wini,

Your Wheeler and Wilson D-9 is a fantastic sewing machine. Your off to a good start by exploring the W&W web site which sounds like the Yahoo group. The group has attachment and owners manual instructions which are essential. You can pretty much put the machine in operating order by following the oiling and threading instructions though it would be fantastic to have someone show you the ropes. You can pretty much clean and oil the machine with nothing more than sewing machine oil and cotton balls or soft cloth being very gentile on the decals.
There is also a QB sticky on cleaning a sewing machine. The needles and bobbins are unique to W&W so I'm hoping you have a few but if not they can be had. Also the W&W hand wheel turns away from the operator, the opposite of Singer. Your in for lots of fun.

Jon

Last edited by jlhmnj; 06-20-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:27 AM
Banned

Unfortunately dating by serial number is NOT an option on the Wheeler & Wilsons. The EARLIER curved needle versions there is an approximate chart based on the production numbers published, but W&W lost a LOT of records in a fire and the rest Singer thrashed when they bought them in 1905.

I strongly recommend joining the W&W Yahoo group. They are compiling known machines serial numbers with receipts. Manuals are available for free as well
Old 06-20-2014, 12:34 PM

Forgot to mention a picture would be great